Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Jul 2006 20:04:38 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: A/C shop in CA?
Comments: To: Oxroad@AOL.COM

I've done a lot of reading on this. Here is my view.

My take on R12 vs 134a is - if yours was designed for R12 - stay with it.

One of the problems is that 134a requires a significantly higher head pressure for operation. The old R12 compressors had a much lower head pressure. If the compressor was not designed for that higher head pressure in the first place, when you convert the system to 134a, it won't be long before that the increased head pressure starts causing compressor problems. If you convert to a compressor designed for the 134a operating pressures, no problem. But run the lower pressure units on 134a, and the life is much shorter.

Another thing too, is that the R12 system with the R12 compressor will cool much better that an R12 system converted to R134a.

Apparently there is a very suitable substitute for the R12, and that is Freeze12. I know that here in my area in the Deep Hot South, Freeze 12 is very popular in the older cars and trucks. Nearly all the freelance shops carry it.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver Chelsea, AL

Jeff Oxroad wrote: > In a message dated 6/30/2006 11:36:36 PM Pacific Standard Time, > tornadored@GMAIL.COM writes: > >> No, he will convince you NOT to convert to R134a! >> > > > Is the deal that one HAS TO convert to R134a to get the system charged? Shops > won't charge a system with Freon anymore? Is R134a better, faster, stronger. > Or is it an ozone issue? Because I just heard Bush say the ozone is fine, so > why can't I have my Freon? ;) > > I wouldn't mind a good shop in LA for A/C. I had Salerno on Magnolia Blvd. in > Burbank, CA fix the A/c on my VW Fox. The clutch on the compressor was making > noise like a bad bearing whether the a/c was on or off. They replaced the > entire compressor for about $650 if I recall. And that son of a gun blew COLD as > ice for about three years. It was still blowing cold when the A/C clutch > started amking the same noise. It was "winter" so I just disconected the A/C belt > and haven't had a chance to have anyone look at it. > > Nice enough guys. I mean I wish the clutch on the new compressor lasted more > than 3 years, but maybe that's par for the course with an aftermarket unit? > And like I said the A/c was still cold as all get out, but with the clutch > making all that noise I was afraid it would sieze so I disconnected the belt. > > So my review of the shop is everything went fine. But I have to admit I'm a > lot less picky about who works on my Fox when compaired to my Vanagon. The A/C > on my bus hasn't worked in about 6 years. > > Best, > Jeff > 83.5 Westy > LA,CA > > >