Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Jul 2006 00:57:57 -0700
From:         Curt Newsome <tele2222@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Just how far in over my head am I? (long)

I bought an '85 westy several months ago and have been going through it as $ allows trying to make it right. The immediate PO flew down to the Bay area to buy it (from Seattle) and threw a rod on the drive home. Consequently the van had about $5500 worth of work somewhere in OR - and the PO had his fill. I paid too much on the basis of the new 2.1 engine, radiator, CV joints etc, but that's another story.

This is my 3rd VW van, the most recent being a '78 that I sold about 14 years ago. Undoubtedly this recent purchase was somewhat nostalgia driven and I didn't really think it through. Although I once did a valve job on a bug I haven't done much of my own work since I sold the '78 (which was a great car and didn't need much) - so the realization of what's really involved in keeping a 21 year old vehicle (with LOTS of deferred maintenance) afloat has been sobering.

I don't have the time, space or tools to do much of the work myself anymore and this thing is eating me alive. I think I'm getting close to having it right - the van itself is in excellent condition and along with the substantial work paid for by the PO I now have a rebuilt AT and front end, plus many other odds and ends - but I'm really wondering if it is feasible for someone like me to own a Vanagon anymore. I've saved money b shopping for parts online and using different shops for different work but that will only get you so far when there's a lot to do.

So what's the bottom line - will I ever be able to truly relax and have miles of trouble and worry free driving, or is something always gong to need fixing? Sure, I shouldn't have to deal with major engine or transmission problems, but I'm pretty sure that anything not replaced since the thrown rod is original (the front end certainly was). As you are all aware there are quite a number of other parts that can spoil a camping trip,and I don't have unlimited $ to throw at this thing (if I did maybe I would pay $30k for one of GoWestys restore jobs!). I'd never get out what I've put into it but I'm fantasizing about cutting my losses - though I do love driving it.

The second part of my question is if you were me, what other probable original parts might be especially suspect at 21 years and 158,000 miles? What else might I consider replacing pre-emptively?

I have some niggling problems I'm trying to solve but will post those specific queries separately. Thanks for your time, this board is a huge resource.

Curt