Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Jul 2006 19:29:04 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dometic cooling, was Temps under van vs inside
Comments: To: mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>

You must have a remarkably efficient Dometic. I have removed the Dometic and have blown clean the combustion chamber and stack and have taken things apart and fluffed and folded where applicable. I have installed that exhaust fan; I have, O yes I have, installed that internal fan to circulate air, and it is TRUE that I have installed additional insulation between the hot metal on the sunlit side of the van's outside skin and the rear of the Dometic. Indeed, I have hung a Space Blanket on the skin outside to REFLECT the evil heat away from the metal to aid the Dometic in its endeavor to dump its own heat. I have mounted a new blower on the rear, as have you, to urge the hot air to Move Along, Nothing To See Here, Folks.

Yet, and still, the best I could pull was an internal temp no fewer than 40 degrees Fahrenheit below the outside temperature. "Thick frost" on the inside fins?!? -- never seen such a thing when the outside temp was greater than 70F -- either my Dometic is a wastoid, or yours is some steroid-drenched MONSTER!

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR

mark drillock wrote: > Not surprised, I think the real temp issue is the temp behind the > fridge. I have many times camped for a week or more in Baja where > daytime temps were in the high 90s, low 100s and night times in the low > 80s or high 70s at the coolest. My Dometic has always kept thick frost > on the inside fins, even when the thermometer inside the van said 100 > for many hours. Our milk always stayed good for a week plus. We do have > an added exhaust fan on the side of the van that I open in warm weather > to extract the heat from behind the fridge. It has a small fan and an > automatic temp switch set lower than the Dometic fan temp switch. In the > kind of heat I talk about above, the exhaust fan stays on for days on > end. The Dometic rear fan runs most of the time by day and cycles on a > lot at night. I have long ago replaced the original Dometic fan with a > similar looking slightly more powerful fan once sold by Camping World > and elsewhere in the fridge accessory section. I originally added the > exhaust fan to get the fridge heat out of the cabin for better comfort > but I'm sure now it also helps the fridge. > > Mark > > Michael Elliott wrote: > >> Following up on the research Neil is doing to see if there is cooler air >> under the van available to be ducted up to cool the radiator fins on the >> back of the Dometic refrigerator, I did some measurements which model >> the way I use Mellow Yellow when we go camping during warm weather >> >> ...................... >> Conclusion. >> Under these conditions, there is not a significant difference in >> temperature. Anyone who camps like we do, with their windows and zips >> all open during the day, should not count on finding cooler air under >> the van. >> >