Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Jul 2006 19:56:03 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dometic cooling, was Temps under van vs inside
Comments: To: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@gmail.com>

I have 2 Vanagons with Dometics that I use quite a bit. Both will build up frost to the point where it is a solid block, obscuring the fact that there are individual fins, after a few days of continuous use on propane, even in hot weather. You need a clear burner gas jet orifice, 11" WC propane pressure, and a working rear fan. I don't have an inside fan in either of them. I don't run either of them turned up full since they will freeze vegetables and salad during the night. I am not concerned with measuring the inside temps since my food stays fresh for a long time. My brother's works as well as mine do. I run only on 12 volts driving and always switch to propane when stopped for any length of time. The Dometics can have their quirks but they keep food cold just fine if they will light and stay lit. They are not great for cooling down warm beverages, so I only add cold stuff or at most 2 warm drinks each night before bed. This means that extended camping in hot weather requires a drink ice chest to supply enough cool beverages for 2 people.

Mark