Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Jul 2006 17:25:13 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: "Toyota made a Vanagon also" according to my local Midas
              Muffler Manager!
Comments: To: bueses <bueses@earthlink.net>

Lessee, the front and rear header cages I run on my Westy I got from BD while visiting there at Ron's place in 1999, installed in 2000. The Collector Pipe I sourced from my importer contact and installed in 1999, because the original fell apart. Those three items are all Dansk Denmark and have held up quite well since then, no leaks, etc. There are Vanagon list members who have their intense issues (discussed in the past few years) with Dansk's perceived fit (or their alledged lack of fit thereof on their part) and prefer spending mucho $$$ at Volkswagen only for the supposed OG stuff. Let 'em, they'll feel better.

The cat converter I got from Ron also in 1999, still works fine. The muffler is an ANSA Italy with a Dansk tailpipe installed in 1997 - all which continue to run very well to this day. My vehicle is no cream-puff, garage queen. I have put about 110k overall in open highway miles on these components up to this day. Not bad for 6 to 9 years, eh?

John Connolly specializes in the Air Cooled stuff and may not have any of these components. He may have to order them for you, so keep that in mind. I'm sure he'd help a local Vanagon owner.

As to the Midas guy - RUN TOM, RUN!!!! (Apologies to Forrest Gump) -- Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com ********************************** On 7/7/06, bueses <bueses@earthlink.net> wrote: > > Yep, just did a search of BD & Vancafe & all are readily available-should > have checked before I spent the bandwidth, but I was so flabbergasted, I > thought the list would enjoy a late Fryeday chuckle. (sorry John, I forgot > about you-didn't know you carried WC parts?) > > It appears an entire exhaust system on BD is about $400, VC is over $500. > At this point, even tho my buddy at Midas says that only the "cross over" > pipe is bad (Connector pipe) should I replace them all while I am at it? > (Muffler is newish w/ a Terry K strap) I believe in preemptive repairs. > Also > are these aftermarket parts as good as the og vw parts? > > Midas just called & quoted moi $212 for the connector pipe ($80-95 at list > vendors), another $128 for the o-sensor, etc. & $101 to install both! > These > are from VW. > > I know there has been a lot of talk about the S & S exhaust system, not > all > good, but trying to get a quick feel as to the direction to go w/o > starting > a flame war on using the archives, tires, batteries, etc. > > TIA, > > Tom B.-trying to keep my friendly vw mechanic in business >