Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:03:01 -0400
From:         Lon Bordin <lonbordin@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Increasing security in Vanagon, Cabinet locks
Comments: To: Eugene Chen <eugene@AMANDA.COM>

Eugene- I have traveled extensively through Mexico/Central America and I would strongly advise NOT traveling with a lot of valuables. Have them shipped to your final destination. My concern is not with the integrity of your vehicle but with you and your traveling companions personal safety. My 2 cents, peace. Good Luck! -DL Wilcox 85 Wolfalia 85 GL

Hi all -

We're planning to take a long trip (well moving for about a year) from San Francisco down to Oaxaca, Mexico, mostly down the Pacific route, but possibly cutting through Mexico city to save a little time.

I'm very psyched for the trip, but my one paranoia is security in the car as we'll be moving lots of valuables. So I've been trying to think of ways to maximize the security of the Vanagon.

So far, I have a Club and am planning to install an alarm system with a big obnoxious red light. I'm going to keep the curtains on most of the time, hoping that doesn't attract more attention and keep the van garaged whenver possible.

The other idea I had was to install cabinet locks on the two side cabinets and a large hinge lock on the under-seat storage. The underseat storage seems the most secure, as the seat is a bit more durable and there is some chance that thieves wouldn't notice it (although the lock itself will draw some attention). I may put hinge locks in two positions: for when the seat is up and for when the seat is folded down.

A few people have commented that cabinet locks are not much of a deterrent as anyone who wants to break in could get pry the particle board doors with a screwdriver; one person commented that I'd just end up with smashed up cabinets. My feeling though is that every little bit of deterrent helps.

A buddy suggested having a lockbox welded somehow in the back, but it'd have to be rigged somehow to still allow engine access. He also suggested a locking bar to go across the front of the cabinet doors, but that just sounds like an ugly shame.

Any other opinions, experiences, or mods?

I'm in love with my new van and now I don't want anything to happen to her!

Thanks!

Eugene '85 Westfalia and goin' to Mexico