Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Jul 2006 10:38:10 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Followup to: Which "surging syndrome" is this one?

For the archives:

Toward the end of last month I requested help diagnosing a loss of power/surging syndrome that Mellow Yellow exhibited when we were climbing up a long grade to over 5,000 feet. I was in second gear (auto trans) and running at a moderately high rpm, maybe 3500. Every 60 seconds (or so), the engine would suddenly lose power as if I had taken my foot off the gas. The "power outage" would last for a few seconds, maybe 5, then the engine would cheerfully resume. This occurred repeatedly.

Upon the advice of the group, I did the following:

1. Per Roger Sisler's suggestion, I opened up the AFM and loosened the three screws holding the circuit board*, and slid the circuit board closer toward the rear of the van. The wiper contacts had worn deep grooves in the resistive element, and by moving the circuit board, the wiper had a new element surface to work on. That oughta last another 70,000 miles (current mileage on Mellow Yellow).

2. On the trip I had heard a hissing noise under/around the rear of the van. Snooping around with a bit of garden hose to my ear localized the noise to where the throttle body mated to the air distributor. It's a total PITA to get a screwdriver in there, but somehow I managed to tighten the two bolts so that the leak was closed. Someone p-mailed me about how a leak here could have caused the loss of power, and I'll be darned if I can find that p-mail to publicly thank him.

Results: Last week we took the van on another trip, with a similar climb, and the symptom seems to be eliminated. If I'd had more time for scientific endeavors I'd have liked to have made one correction at a time to learn what the real cause was. But the resistive element in the AFM was clearly worn, so correcting that was probably not a bad idea. The air leak couldn't have made the engine run better, so it needed to be done.

Many thanks to all for troubleshooting tips. I wish I was more knowledgeable so I could contribute as much as y'alls.

*WARNING: The three screws are "tri-round" thread-forming screws with a triangular cross-section (http://www.callhpfs.com/prod01.htm) and VW applied a thread-locking adhesive to them at the factory. It might be possible to loosen these screws with a perfectly-shaped Phillips driver, but I pretty much destroyed the head of one of them trying to loosen it. I was able to get it out by grabbing the head with a pair of narrow Vice-Grips, and found a suitable replacement at my local hardware store. I have no idea why VW felt this board needed to be affixed so securely.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR