Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:19:01 -0700
From:         Andy Highland <andy@420.AM>
Subject:      Fixed (Re: dometic pilot goes out when thermostat turned up)

On Jun 23, 2006, at 12:05 AM, Andy Highland wrote:

> My dometic lights and stays lit as long at the thermostat is left at > 0. When I turn it up, the pilot goes out. : ( Has anyone had this > problem? > > Thanks, > andy

Thanks for all the suggestions. I pulled the fridge and checked the combustion chamber. There was a little bit of gunk and rust in there, but not very much. I cleaned it out. I also blew as hard as I could through both flue vents. I put it back in the cabinet and It ran for almost a day on propane with the thermostat at MAX before I shut it off. So, the problem was either in the flue vent system or the combustion chamber. My guess is that one of the flue pipes was blocked which allowed enough fresh air for the pilot, but not for a bigger flame and so it went out when the thermostat knob was turned up.

While I had it out I took the insulation sleeve off of the flue pipes. I couldn't remember if it was supposed to wrap around both pipes or just the exhaust. I couldn't get it to wrap around both, so it's now just on the exhaust pipe. I hope I got that right.

yay! andy