Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jul 2006 05:13:36 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: cigrette lighter  or silver socket - amp problem with air
              compressor
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>

At 12:59 AM 7/11/2006 -0700, Robert Fisher wrote: >Er... I believe he was attempting to *clarify* the concept.

Hi Robert!

<grin> And I set out to be my usual earnest boring self and correct the several places where he really did get the analogy rather fundamentally wrong; but I'm in a fey mood and that is what happened. There is a solid framework in there for anyone who's actually interested -- and remember we're responding to an offhand comment, not a plea for help in trouble or really any request at all from the original poster -- to build the start of a robust *quantitative* understanding of how this stuff actually works together. Wading through a few of my shucks and finger-pops shouldn't be all that terrible a price, seems t'me. For someone that wants it, that is. Otherwise if you don't like the way I ramble your prospects there would be fairly tenuous I think.

(signed) Jive Turkey ps -- Didn't you care for my little tale of the AFM spring and the resistor plate? If you didn't see it and are curious, the subject claims it to be a typo correction. Which it is, but a bit more as well; every time I look inside an AFM and see that big husky spring loafing away in there my physical-properties gorge rises up because I can't make it *feel* right that the spring is stressed enough to start losing tension. I said so in a parable that I enjoyed writing and he claims to have enjoyed reading. Actually Robert, I wish you would look that up and try to see what I missed, because the guy is all worried about the fact that when he open-circuits the TempII with the engine running...guess what, it goes rich! He seems to think that constitutes an emissions problem (which is why he started turning knobs in the AFM without remembering to anchor his starting point). I've tried..hm, I think three tries -- to tell him yes, there's a problem all right, but it will go away as soon as he plugs the TII back in the way it has to be so the engine doesn't think it's too cold to run closed-loop. Somehow we're talking past each other. Thanks, d

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"