Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:55:01 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy Luggage rack seal fit
Comments: To: dellaone@GMAIL.COM

In a message dated 7/12/2006 5:24:52 AM Pacific Standard Time, dellaone@GMAIL.COM writes: >I see that >he seal does not contact large areas of the roof skin, but I understandt>hat this >type of seal does allow for water drainage.

I've found that luggage rack seal tricky since I upgraded mine years ago. So much so that I always swear I'm gonna get the OEM seal from VW.

The aftermarket seal I have is not a seal at all like the original, it is a trim piece. As I recall the original seal was somehting of a square shaped piece of weatherstripping. The original definatley sealed the luggage rack to roof of the bus. The aftermarket "seal" does not.

The original luggage rack set up does allow water to drain at the rear of the luggage rack by design. This idea that a poorly fitting aftermarket seal allows water to drain "better" unecissary in my opinion. It's like saying a hole in a dam allows for better water flow. But...why the dam, then?

Problem with an unsealed luggage rack is wind get under their and either makes noise. And even if it's not making noise I don't think getting air under there is optimal. I think other problems arrise.

My new idea, instead of installing a factory seal (if it's even availalble $$) is to try to seal the unit with a bit of black RTV silicon sealant. Of course I won't seal over the 'factory" water drain at the rear.

Large section of my pop top also fluxes up and down in an annoying way at highway speeds rapping on the overhead bar/lifting mechanism and I'm wondering if air getting under the luggage rack is the culprit.

Also on the stock seal the rubber across the front of the pop top has a metal reinforcement through it, which I'm guessing helps keeps this seal in a better position to seal the front of the pop top. I have no way to view this seal at speed, but I wouldn't be surprized if it gives a little.

As for the main part of the aftermarket pop top seal with the bulb for sealing, this seems to work great. In fact something like it might work better to actually seal the luggage rack rather than the simple trim piece provided. However, I had a devil of a time reinstalling the luggage rack and that extra bulb could make it harder to install--could make it easier I suppose?

I don't recall the exact number of rubber washers on the hold downs, but my memory implies there was one rubber washer for each hold down screw.

I had to shim the back of the luggage rack where it bolts to the roof to get it to seal with the pop top closed. The whole project took a bit of finesse and patience and I've never been pleased with the job as a whole--largly because of the luggage rack seal "fit".

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA