Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jul 2006 13:07:04 -0600
From:         bueses <bueses@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: The best awning
Comments: To: "Mike \"Rocket J Squirrel\" Elliott" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

on 7/14/06 12:41 PM, Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott at camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM wrote:

> (Second post: I got a message from the listserver that the first attempt > was rejected for some reason.) > > I'm using a Shadyboy. It's not a Fiamma in terms of setup and teardown, > and there are two problems with it that I find exasperating, but it's a > big improvement over the GoWesty one, which is quite clunky to > set up and tear down. > > The two problems with the Shadyboy are: > > 1. I bought the optional poles to prevent downdrafts from blowing the > awning down to the ground (and I'm glad I did). These fiberglass poles, > unlike the regular ones that the awning came with, have invisible glass > fibers sticking out of them and every time I handle them I end up with > tiny, invisible rods of glass in my hands, which is irritating. I've > learned to use gloves when I handle them. I will probably wrap them with > thinwall heatshrink tubing and then they'll be fine.

Hmmm, I've got the same Shadyboy & never noticed the fiberglass slivers. > > 2. The container tube that mounts over the door is about 1/3rd length of > the fully deployed awning. The fore and aft portions of the awning are > held against the side of the van with poles inserted into the front and > rear ends of the container tube thing and extend fore and aft. This > works fine: it's clean and sturdy. When stowing the awning, you fold the > fore and aft portions of the fabric over the center portion, like > folding a piece of paper into thirds. There are two tiny hooks, like bra > hooks, that are meant to hold the folds in place up on the opened > container while you are rolling the awning with its poles up into it, > but the hooks never hold. I've tried bulldog clips, and they don't work > either. Maybe Shadyboy has improved on this detail, but as it stands, > it's frustrating. A second person is needed to keep the folds in place > during the stowing operation.

Hmmm, mine has little velcro pieces instead of hooks to hold the sides in place while you roll the whole thing up. Unfortunately 1 velcro has come off so I can only hold 1 side in place-should be easy to fix, but keep forgetting to do so.

The hardest part for moi, is rolling the whole thing up w/ the extra poles inside & getting it to snap closed-sometimes takes a couple of times-w/ 2 volks, it is easy to take down, but it wouild be nice to do by myself only.

I also had to make little wires to hold the vertical pole halves together so that the wind doesn't lift it up, the poles come apart, & the whole awning depresses & bends your roof brackets. There are holes in the poles to thread the wire thru, in any event.

Tom B.-shade is good