Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Jul 2006 18:38:16 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: REAR WHEEL WOBBLE
Comments: To: Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@yahoo.com>

Loose axle nuts, out-of-true drums, or drum retaining bolts - the little bolts in the drum face that hold it to the flange when pulling a wheel. Keeps the drum from coming off. After market stuff won't fit if they are in place.

First best bet is the small bolts. Just take them out. Then move on from there if that wasn't the fix.

Hopefully your shop was smart enough to figure out that they didn't need to loosen or remove the axle nuts, but you never know.

Good luck,

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Anthony Egeln wrote: > Greetings to the List, > Last Friday I picked up my van after it was worked on by the oldest and best VW shop in town. Had the rear brakes done (new drums and shoes), new emergency brake cable, R & R the power steer rack and had the CVs repacked. Big bill but seemed fair to me. > Today I was driving up A1A in Jacksonville Beach and pulled up along side another vanagon. The driver yelled over to me that my rear wheels were wobbling. I immediately pulled over and pulled on the rear wheels but there was no play while parked, and the lug nuts are all there and tight. I drove off and looked in the rear view and sure enough there is a significant wobble in both rear wheels. It’s Sunday and I can’t call the shop but I’m wondering what happened during the brake job to cause the wheels to wobble (assuming it was the drums etc). > > I’m really worried because since Friday I have put 180 miles on the car, including running on I-95 at 70 mph. What could be causing the wobble and have I potentially caused damage to the CV joints, transmission or something else? Is it safe to drive or should I get it towed? The shop is nearly 50 miles away on the north side of town. I appreciate your help. I have the 15” Rhein wheels and Dueler AT Revos. Also, in case it makes a difference, before they replaced the E-cable it had about 70 degrees of play to lock, and now it locks at about 15-20 degrees. > > Young son and I were headed out tomorrow or Tuesday up to South Carolina to fish and camp. I’m very grateful to the vanagon driver to point out something that hundreds of drivers must have noticed between now and last Friday, and if we had headed out on our trip could have caused damage to us or the van. > Thanks, Anthony > '89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo) > > > > --------------------------------- > Sneak preview the all-new Yahoo.com. It's not radically different. Just radically better. > > >