Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jul 2006 07:55:00 -0700
From:         Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Solar Charging?
Comments: To: Andy Highland <andy@420.AM>

I put a 75w system on my Westy. There is a 25ft. extension cord so that the panel can be taken off the locking roof rack and propped up in the sun while the van is in the shade. Works fine to charge up my deep cycle battery under the drivers seat. A friend of mine has a more robust setup to charge his 2 trojan batteries that live under the bench seat. His 110w panel is permanently bolted to the roof and is able to keep the batteries charged up after heavy use from his portable strobe units, a large reefer (not the dometic, he tore that out for storage)stereo, lights, 1000w inverter, and a breathing apparatus running all night. My system was purchased 10 years ago and was pricey, but the cost has gone down and with nano tech it will become less expensive.

pmail for more info and links if you want.

Cheers

Keith O. 90 Westy Syncro

PS I will be near Florence from July 23-Aug 5 if you want to see my setup.