Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 2006 21:44:31 -0400
From:         John Graham <theklube@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Lessons learned replacing brake master cylinder

The brake master cylinder was getting soft on my 88 Vanagon and I suspected it was the original. I ordered a new one from the Bus Depot and will share my experience in replacing same. Removing the instrument cluster is not difficult and after that you can get to the brake lines and remove the master cylinder from the booster servo. (I do have automatic transmission).

To my surprise the new part came with new electrical sensors and new nuts to fasten with. Once I got the old one off though, I discovered that the electrical sensors on the new part had 3 spade lugs - my old one and the associated connectors were only set for two contacts. So I just removed the new ones and screwed in the old ones that appeared to be in good condition. I guess the new part is also used on other vehicles that have 3 prong connections - no big deal since I was expecting to reuse the old ones anyway.

There is a small rubber ring that seals the master cylinder to the brake booster. My old one was left on the booster after I pulled the master cylinder off, be sure to remove this. There was a new one in place on the new part. There was very minor leakage on the face of the brake servo and I couldn't detect anything inside it. That's about all the details about the master cylinder

Alas I wish I were ending here... I bled the brakes on the front left first and upon going over to the other side, didn't spray anything on the bleeder before I tried to loosen it and torqued it right off ! I probably should have used a socket to loosen it and avoided that. Guess I'll need an easy out to get that sucker out. I went ahead a carefully bled the rear cylinders and after that find that I have a very firm pedal. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow after I put the dash back together and see how they are. Could it be that all the air in the front brake lines was bled out of the driver's side?? That would be nice.

Well the moral is be real careful in putting the muscle to loosening those bleeder screws - use a socket not a wrench.

John Graham 88 Westy - Charlotte, NC