Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:24:21 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: early or late 81? (looking for starter)
Comments: To: vanagon@frontleftspeakerposse.com

Hi Chris -

Since you've indicated intermittent starter failure, be sure to check your push-on terminals - be sure they're clean with no dirt, grease, gunk or corrosion and that they slip on to the maile terminals (on the solenoid) tightly. If the wiring is frayed at the push-on female terminals, replace, crimp AND solder for best contact.

Another problem area is the Transmission Ground Strap, located at the Front Nosecone to the Chassis. Be sure it's good shape, not rusting out or otherwise corroded and that there is good metal to metal contact. This make sure that your starter (and other engine electricals, as the engine is mated to the transmission) have a clear path to chassis ground (in addition to other separate ground wires/straps in the engine compartment).

Finally, in worse case situations, a hard start relay goes a long way to solving starter problems (Bosch WR-1 as an example). I have one on each of my VWs, past & present.

For more info on this subject see my link:

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/hardstart.pdf -- Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com ********************************** On 7/13/06, chris <vanagon@frontleftspeakerposse.com> wrote: > > Thank you for this. > When I called the busdepot line the lady I asked the same question to > said that based on my vin and chassis # that it was actually the newer > model 81, which didn't initially make sense to me, hence my post to the > list. > > I have now ordered the SR87X for my *early* 81 model chassis (which bus > depot lists as SR87XOR for some reason.) > > My starter still technically works, it just gets a little fussy about > when it wants to start or not. > (if I start it a few times a day, no problem, but sitting for even one > day it isn't happy about.) > > > thanks again, > chris. > > > > > > Old Volks Home wrote: > > I've answered this question so many times I can just about do it from > > memory: > > > > Vanagon Manual Transmission, 1981 Air Cooled > > > > Bosch SR87X (091 911 023) > > To Vin 25-B-093610 > > > > Bosch SR19X (091 911 023 A) > > Vin 25-B-093610 to 25-B-152582 > > > > Bosch SR401X (025 911 023 A) > > Vin 25-B-152583 onwards > > > > The SR19X and SR401X are interchangeable as per Bosch & VW Factory Parts > > Bulletins (the 401 replaced the 19) > > > > Based on your Vin, yours is an EARLY 81 Vanagon for starter purposes. A > > replacement engine does not factor into this. > > > > I think I'm gonna whip up a PDF for Air Cooled Vanagon Applications and > > upload to my website, hopefully to reduce the confusion (part of my > > on-going > > Bosch data cross-referencing project). > > > > Biggest differences are the "throw" of the starter gear and solenoid > > differences. The solenoid on the SR401X is not replaceable separately - > > starter with solenoid must be purchased. > > -- > > Jim Thompson > > 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" > > 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" > > 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" > > oldvolkshome@gmail.com > > http://www.oldvolkshome.com > > ********************************** > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > -- > Chris > '81 (AC) Vanagon Westfalia 'Rocky' > nor*cal > > frontleftspeakerposse.com