Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:41:48 -0400
From:         Ian Allan <ian.allan@BMTS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Barely scientific test results, Dometic R182 refrigerator

I have had my Dometic running in the shop for several days. I have a D cell powered circulation fan inside. The fridge was empty. For the propane test I hooked the fridge up to a bottle with a std. bbq regulator.

Ambient temp ranged from 72 to 88F Internal temp probe was on the top shelf just below the fins. Lots of air at rear of fridge. The fins never got anywhere close to triggering the fan thermostat. The only real heat was at the exhaust stack when using propane.

110V Excellent performance over time. Fridge chilled to 44F below ambient after 24 hrs.

Propane: Not so good. It seemed that I had to add ice to get the cooling kick started below 60F After I added ice the fridge took over and cooled to about 35F below ambient. I removed the remaining ice and the fridge held constant at 30 to 35 below ambient..

Points of interest: The burner/exhaust stack ran much hotter with propane than with 110v. Uncomfortable to the touch. (It seems to me that any heat source should yield the same amount of heating.) It was almost as if waste heat from propane combustion inhibited the cooling. With 110v the fridge responded to different thermostat settings. Using propane the thermostat seemed much less effective.

Can someone explain the workings of the thermostat?

Has anyone had experience regulating the burner heat from propane?

Ian