Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:19:20 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Westy Novice, Suggestions Please
Comments: To: David Milo <dellaone@GMAIL.COM>

As a transport vehicle, the Westy is on a 4 passenger. When you wish to add another seat, I find a rear facing Carat style seat behind the passenger front is easy to install and works best. The common center seats take away from the camper openness.

The top bunk is wider than the bottom fold out. Hubby and son should fit up there and you and daughter down below.

For an inverter, a small inverter can be mounted to the cabinet, behind the drivers seat. If not used to often, the standard group 41 can be installed under the drivers seat. Check the archives for many ideas on dual battery charging.

Dennis

Good Evening Folks (W PA)

My incredibly talented husband had succeeded in transplanting the entire roof, westy top and canvas from a donor 1982 Westy onto our 1987 Syncro (he did quite a lovely job). But now we need some insight from the list. The interior of the van is completely stripped and ready to outfit with the original Westy interior from the donor. We have never owned or even operated a Westy (the closest we have come is having Maggie's "Anne Bonnie" in our garage a few days), nor have we camped in 14 years. Our only experience is with our 1971 or 72 Kombi (non-poptop) that we used to take to the forest back when we were young and child free. (loved that poor, rusty old van, many good memories)

Here's our situation. We have a 17 yr old son (high school senior who is the primary driver of the vehicle), and a 6 (7 in August) daughter. Our thoughts (rationalization) for creating the Westy were that it would allow us to take short trips around the eastern half of the country (relatives in Chicago, maybe see Maine, and camp in the Allegheny National Forest here in Pennsylvania on the occasional long weekend). Most of the time, though, it will be family/marching band transportation.

About the only thing I could come up with for a wish list was an inverter (?) and a second battery so that we could take along rechargeable batteries and their charger for the digital camera, and plug in the laptop so that our daughter could watch DVDs during a long drive, or play on her Sony PSP One (very old, but hey, it works). The PSP, however, has a cable for the "lighter" and will run from the 12V (so where's the best place for an outlet accessible to the back seat?) and we could get a similar cable for the laptop instead of running it from 120V. Is an inverter necessary? We have a wireless card for the laptop so we can access the internet wherever we can find a hotspot (gotta read the list, you know).

We've been looking at photos and websites of Westy owners and I see some interesting lighting additions. I don't anticipate needing to read in bed, but I do want to be able to see into the lockers, etc. My guess is that the stove will be used primarily to heat water for coffee in the morning (have a holder for a filter that sits over the thermos so you use the pour through method like the old Chemex coffee makers). Any major cooking will be outside on the Coleman stove (I don't think want the lingering smell/grease of bacon in the van).

We purchased a screen tent and anticipate that Dave and I will occupy the fold out bed, our daughter will be in the upper bunk and our son, outside on a cot/sleeping bag in the tent.

That's about as far as we have thought things through. Your experience and advice is needed!

Thanks! Sandy Milo

1987 Syncro (now Westy) 2.2 Subaru (Annie) 1991 Carat 2.2 Subaru (Betsy) 1990 Volvo 240 (Krusty Crab) 1967 Sunbeam Alpine (gee, it really doesn't have a name) 1990