Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:07:44 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: where do the best vanagons come from?

> > so where do the best vanagons come from?

California and Arizona.

I was thinking that the vintage planes all live in the desert. They dont > age, perse, but dont their hoses and things get baked?

Hoses whose job it is to pipe 200+ degree water? nah. Rubber parts decay faster in high-polution areas (e.g. most of southern california) from ground level ozone, but rubber parts are designed to be replaced. Really, ozone decay seems to mostly affect "exposed" stuff like suspension components. Windshield wipers only last 6 months. Hoses, 7-10 years, I'd say. But you wanna replace all the hoses on a "new to you" Vanagon anyway, right?

But no rust, is that really a benefit?

Dunno. Depends on whether you mind your car coming apart at the seams, I guess. I have a '90 Vanagon that was badly neglected by the last two owners, but since it spent its entire life here in SoCal, literally the only body rust it has is one tiny 2mm spot on the nose where a rock chipped away the paint. But being a spoiled SoCal dweller I'm naturally appalled by what road salt and constant dampness do to cars in the midwest/east/Great White North.

But if it doesn't bother you, hey, that's great. Get something local. One less California Vanagon taken away to the rust belt. I know it's dumb, but I always feel a twinge of annoyed outrage when I see a Vanagon for sale in Wisconsin or Maryland or such and one of the selling points is "California van I bought 2 years ago". They took one of "our" vans to a horrible place where it'll just ROT!

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger"