Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:28:53 -0700
From:         Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@CYBERTRAILS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon a/c and associated miseries.

David M wrote:

>...1987 Wolfsburg with non-working >a/c. I live in Phoenix and its now around 110-115 >every day so I need it bad. >My question how much should it cost to get a Vanagon >a/c working. It did work a few years ago and then just >stopped blowing cold. Can a regular a/c shop work on >it or is it so unusual I should try to find a >Vanagon-savvy mechanic? >

My situation was similar -- '84 Westy with a long dis-used a/c in Tucson. I got a new compressor & drier from the Bus Depot, then had the mechanic I use for the big stuff on the van (engine install, tranny install) install the new bits and replace seals, etc as he saw fit. Had the system charged with Freeze 12. Total for the shop work (incl the Freeze 12) was $270.

One small leak was evident 2 months later -- he fixed it (no charge of course).

On my 84 at least there was some uncertainty as to which model compressor was needed -- Ron's staff at the Bus Depot went to some extra effort on the phone with my mechanic to be sure the correct part was shipped. That may have saved some time & hassle.

It cools about as well as a these things ever do. I don't have to tell you that if you park in the sun on a 110 degree day the inside of the van gets waaaayyyy hotter than that and it just has too much mass and volume to effectively chill the interior. I use a small 12V fan clamped up and behind the driver & pointing at the driver to make the most of the cold air trying to get to the front.

IMO, I was better off going to a mechanic I trusted (and who had an incentive for keeping me cool and happy) instead of an a/c shop I didn't know and didn't know me.

Choice of refrigerant is yours of course (lots of opinions here) -- that would be the main variable in the $$$ equation.

Stay in the shade,

Geo H

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.10.1/391 - Release Date: 7/18/2006