Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:52:47 -0600
From:         Jon Kanas <kanas@QADAS.COM>
Subject:      Front Door Speakers -- More and More and.....
Comments: To: Phil Zimmerman <philzimm1@OBERON.ARK.COM>,
          lalanne@ix.netcom.com, easywind1975@hotmail.com

Hi Phil,

Thanks for all the feedback, especially Ryan, Phil, and Tom LaLanne... Glad you also like Dave Barry.

These correspondence exchange leads, of course, to more questions.

Some additional background information: I am using a Blauplunkt Indianapolis head unit with no additional amplifiers. As my Vanagon has a Behr AC unit in the front dash, the head unit is mounted into a homemade box on top of the dash which locks into the hole where the ashtray would normally go. I would like more volume and bass by adding a pair of additional speakers into the doors without making any other significant changes. I would like to avoid anything which requires running additional wiring to the rear of the Vanagon, as disassembly of the camper components would lead to "scope creep" meaning reconditioning a variety of worn items while "I was in there". I do not want this to turn into a case where the project scope expands to fill all available time and budget. I am nearing completion of a restoration of a 1937 Buick (see my website) which has experienced some changes in scope, and I don't need another one now.

Specific Questions: Phil refers to PVC disks on which the speakers are mounted. I don't understand what you mean when you refer to PVC disks. Please explain what these are, and how they are employed to "aim" the speakers. I do not currently have the doors apart, and I don't have power windows so I'm uncertain which hole you are referencing. My intent was to get some decent bass into the doors; Placing a speaker for enhanced bass in the kickpanel should not be a problem, since base is not directional. Do you have any pictures of the door installation you could pmail or post?

Again, I'd love to see a picture of the tweeter installation. This may be more effort than I want to go to right now. I'm not worried about phasing; I just want decent sound when I'm driving for extended distances in the mountains. The Vanagon generates waaay too much background noise for phasing to be an issue. I have a 2006 Subaru XT. The tweeters are nowhere near the mids or the sub-woofer and it sounds great. I would be overjoyed if I could get sound even close to the Subaru.

Regarding a subwoofer - How are these typically connected. Behind the glovebox is not an option for me. The Behr AC unit evaporator and blowers are there; In fact, the forward edge of the glovebox has been trimmed to allow for about 2" of intrusion from the evaporator into the glove box. If I end up going to an amplified system, the amps and associated paraphernalia will have to go into the "extra" battery box under the driver's seat, or under the back seat with a sub-woofer. This brings up the subject of loss of storage, which I would also like to avoid.

Best Regards, Jon

Longmont, Colorado; Cultural Center of the Universe Email: kanas@qadas.com <mailto:kanas@qadas.com> Website: http://www.qadas.com/~kanas <http://www.qadas.com/%7Ekanas> AOL Instant Messenger ID: KanasColo