Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:41:11 -0400
From:         Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@WHISPLLC.COM>
Subject:      Re: hesitation
Comments: To: Jason Willenbrock <pooncerelli@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hi Jason and others with this problem. I just got back from a 3k round trip in my 85 westi with wife and kids and had plenty of time to think of the problem. adjusted a few things along the way and may have the problem figured out but will be testing this next weekend since i just got back.

1st: this is a rebuilt 1.9L with about 3200 miles on the clock. so it only had 200 miles before leaving on vacation. power and everything is great for what it is. may have a slight fuel starvation problem due to the sound of the fuel pump. But here is what ive noticed ( I had a hell of a time in Chicago 80/90/94 construction!!) But if i just stopped and took off with in say up to 10 seconds all was well like nothing wrong. from 10 to 20 seconds the engine sounded as if a cylinder was dropping off and the engine was stumbling. from 20 seconds on it would even get a little worse. now from 10 seconds of sitting and on from take off you could step on the gas and it would just sit there stumbling and choking with ZERO power to move. Would not stall just sit there for about 5 seconds till it would start sputtering to life and back to normal. I adjusted any and all items and found the air bypass screw out a bit far and thought i was on the right track. it is still doing the same thing. So this is what i THINK it may be! This is a problem i had with my previous motor that i took out do to low oil pressure and other reasons but this motor has no oil pressure problems.

I think the lifters are overcharging on either intake or exhaust holding the valve open till it fires and builds compression to force the lifter to shut and allow the pressure and power to come back.

My test is to get it up to opperating temp and everything running well. then just let it sit and idle for a few min. from there use my infared temp gauge to see if any of the exhaust pipes start to cool (i.e. not fire) . after that i will check to see if any of the intake runners get a little hotter. from it venting to the intake. From there i should be able to find the lifter issue. if there is a better way to check the intake lifter let me know. if the motor sits for a few it starts fine so i think the lifter is just over pressuring and floating at idle. once forced back into place with compression or sitting with engine off it goes to correct lift.

If anyone has any other ideas let me know. I will post my findings this next weekend when i have time to do the test. other then this the vanagon would run up hills not mountains at 3800 to 4k with not much of a problem. Thanks Jonce

>hey all, >okay, i am slowing weening out my vanagon demons. idle now is fine but i >still have this hesitation upon acceleration from complete stops. what i >have done so far is i replaced, ecu, icu, idle stabilizer, idle switch, temp >II sensor, cleaned up grounds, sprinkled black butte porter as holy water >all over van. now what?? this hesitaion sucks as that i can not "quickly" >jump out into traffic. the hesitation is not consistant either which is >perplexing. what now, valves? vacuum leak possibly?? >TIA >jason >87 syncro westy >so many roads to ease my soul...

Jonce Fancher

56 Single Cab 66 Sunroof Bug 66 Variant Squareback 66 Porsche 912 71 Sunroof Bus 84 Vanagon "Gottfried" 85 Vanagon Westi 2003 10 Passenger Sprinter

Fancher's Upholstery Inc. - www.fanchers.com Not-A-VW Club- http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransont3/notavwclub/