Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:11:20 -0400
From:         Brian Honan <cartruckbus@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: ---------

Last summer my vanagon blew a head gasket, or Finlay blew a head gasket.

I took the heads off and searched all around for used heads, ideas or money. (I am between college and a real job.)

A had the fortune of meeting a great vanagon guru named Walt Spack who is right on my side of town. He handed me a PAIR of refurbished heads, and told me I could trade my painting hours for these heads. Then he told me I could bring the van to his garage to work on it in the winter ( I have no garage).

I called AAA to have my van towed but knew they do not tow dead vehicle, so I acted liked I just broke down and needed it towed to the garage.

the AAA driver shows up eager to try and get me started, I know that is not going to happen the heads are off the engine. In fact I did not think anything would happen, so I foolishly let the driver persist on try to start the van, it cracked a few times.......nothing, so we towed it to Walts.

This Mystery vanagon engineer, some call him Joe, some, ------------

comes by and inspects the situation to find that I broke-chipped two pistons while i cranked the engine. We pulled the engine, and started the rebuild , using a few old pistons Walt had lying around. Used Piston rings were donated from Boston Bob. Getting the ring pins out and in was a project among many others that were tackled with wisdom from Walt and ----------. ---------- and I spent nearly every Saturday last Winter in that Garage amongst other old buses and parts from foreign cars all for the love of the water boxer and the drive to have a vanagon on the road for summer.

Today the van is inspected, running great, I am running all over the city in it, car pooling Youth, transporting art supplies. And now it even has a secret weapon for stealth camping, a new rear fold out seat. This seat also allows for a bit more room in the back compartment when the seat is pushed forward. So I can push a milk crate forward and get the hatch open.

long live the Vanagon community !

Thanks Guys !

87 Vanagon Nietzsche 87 Jetta Charlot

Brian , Pittsburgh Pa, art educator , looking for a teaching job in a liberal town, or city or country .