Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:30:44 -0700
From:         Zeitgeist <gruengeist@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propane fired airconditioning

Or, you could run propane IN your A/C system. I've presently got one of my Mercedes running on a mixture of isobutane and propane. So far it's working ok, but I need to bump up the amount of propane in order to get lower vent temps (currently 48 degrees). YMMV

Here's a write-up (not mine) on how to run your A/C on isobutane/propane: [fyi/caveat : If you don't agree with doing this, then my advice is to not do it -- it's that simple]

"I fully charge the system, using a mix of Isobutane (R600a) and Propane (R290). This mix (70% Isobutane, 30% Propane) is usually available at sporting goods stores as high-altitude campstove fuel. An 8-oz (12-oz by weight) can will run $4-5, you only need one. You want Isobutane (R600a), not Butane (R600), because Butane has a too-high boiling point. It's possible for your compressor to ingest liquid if you use it instead of Isobutane, which can damage its valves. Lots of Butane/Propane mix is available out there, so beware.

One of the pitfalls of converting an A/C system away from R12 is that there are a number of things that are dialed in for R12's exact characteristics. If you use a refrigerant with a different temperature/pressure curve, the system ends up operating inefficiently. One of the beauties of this hydrocarbon blend is that you can get a very close match to R12's curve. The system then operates well.

A usable charge of this hydrocarbon blend is less than 50% of an R12 charge. In part this is because hydrocarbons are more efficient refrigerants than hydrochlorofluorocarbons. Also, most R12 systems are actually overcharged to accommodate slow leaks. If you're doing your own servicing, a lesser charge is acceptable, because it's pretty easy to re-do. And, having a lesser charge reduces the fire risk in case of a sudden large leak.

What I find works is to feed in one can of the 70/30 mix, and then augment this with straight Propane until the temperatures and pressures are right. (With the system set for maximum cooling, and the engine at 2000 rpm.) What I do is to monitor the temperature of the pipe next to the high-side fitting using an infrared thermometer. As you slowly leak in Propane, you watch the R12 *temperature* scale on the high-side gauge and the actual temperature of the fitting. When they are close to each other ipso facto you are done. You also watch the absolute high-side pressure to ensure it's not too high, and you watch the low-side pressure to make sure it's still in the 20-30 psi range. You have to make changes slowly enough to let temperatures and pressures reach equilibrium so that you get accurate readings.

It is my belief that the Propane is doing most of the cooling. The Isobutane is there to keep the pressures down. It provides enough circulating mass to transfer both heat and lubricating oil, and has a temperature range that keeps it from being a liquid in a harmful place. The proportion of the final charge that is the Propane is an 'undercharge', because if it weren't the pressures would be too high. But it's still enough to provide sufficient cooling, and the Isobutane is filling out the ranks. But because the system is still in a sense 'undercharged', it is very sensitive to leaks. A typical R12 system is actually 'overcharged' in that it is designed to be able to lose some portion of the charge (by inevitable slow leakage) without impacting performance. This blend doesn't have that luxury, so once some charge is lost the performance will suffer. Fortunately it is cheap and easy to repair! Because the components of the blend can leak at different rates you don't know what proportions are left once you've lost some charge, so you should evacuate the system and start from scratch rather than try to top it off.

I understand that this blend will work very well until ambient temperatures get above 100°F. Because Propane has a critical point lower than R12, once its pressure gets too high it will stop condensing altogether. Then the only cooling is provided by the Isobutane, which has a higher critical temperature, and cooling performance is minimal. This can happen when it's really hot outside. If you live in such a place, stick with R12. (And you probably wouldn't be happy with R134a's inherently lesser performance if you were to convert.) The upshot? Driving down the freeway on a 90°F day yielded 38°F vent temperatures, which is hard to beat. When stopped in traffic, the auxiliary fan kicked on. Coolant temperature throughout was just under 100°C. (Normally 87°C without A/C.) In other words, normal behavior. It works! "

On 7/24/06, John Rodgers <inua@charter.net > wrote: > > The current thread dealing with battery power for the refrigerator > brought the above subject to mind.. > > The propane/115v refrigerator/freezer I had in my motor home some years > back was outstanding. When running on propane, it never let me down. Nor > did it on 115V electricity, either. It was not made to use battery power > in any way. And that thing would freeze a halibut solid as a block of > tombstone granite.. > > So my question is, if there are propane fired refrigeration units that > work well, can there not be a propane fired AC unit somewhere, > CERVEL(Cervil?), or some other brand. If not, could one be cobbled > together with parts from a propane fired fridge. After all, they aren't > much more than a coil, a fan, and a heating unit. It seems to me if the > shape was right, it would work great as a cooler for the camper on the > weekend outing. > > Ideas, comments, slams?? > > Regards, > > John Rodgers > 88 GL Driver. >

-- Casey Olympia, WA Biodiesel: "I drive in a persistent vegetative state" '87 300TD intercooler #22 (216k) '84 300D (214k) Gashuffer: '89 Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition (187K) http://users.zhonka.net/zeitgeist/Misc/IMG_0171.JPG