Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:56:16 -0500
From:         Anthony Kimmons <akimmons@HOUSTON.RR.COM>
Subject:      Trouble starting after sitting awhile?

Hey all, again thanks in advance for any advice on this...

87 GL Vanagon She's had a total rebuild & lots of new parts and was running prior to me getting laid off 4 years ago. (She's been stored covered in Houston, TX with very mild winters, lots of humidity though... She's in great shape, I must say!!). I was in the middle of redo-ing the inside of the van (a/c, insulation, carpet, etc...) and had it all torn out when I lost my job. So I just put everything on hold for 4 years. Never thought she'd be sitting for that long though. Now I'm back in with a little extra cash and want to get her rolling again.

Found that the battery had died so I replaced that. (Sears) Now, she starts right off on the first try, but only runs a few seconds before dying. Then, no further starts. The starter will turn and it cranks, & I can hear the fuel pump running. Sounds like everything electric is ok...

So this will happen every day. I can start it once, but only for a few seconds, then it dies and won't restart again.

My first thought was that the gas was bad so I put in 5 gallons. (There was probably a gallon still in there over the years). I know, I should have drained it first, but the mosquitoes were particularly hungry that day...

Several thoughts are going through my head...

1. Is the fuel pumping correctly? Need to pull a hose and make sure it's flowing. 2. Is the gas still bad? Need to drain tank and refill with today's new improved more expensive gas... 3. Is my timing off? Check timing, rotor condition & cap.

She has all new fuel lines, new fuel pump, fuel regulator, spark plug wires, rotor & distributor all new, but they have been sitting awhile. Can parts go bad from just sitting? What else should I check?

Hoping someone has some other ideas for things to check. THANKS!