Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jul 2006 14:39:49 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: alternate front heater core options?

Had a leak in the heater core of my Chevy van. Pulled it out and found a crack in a passage between a set of fins, so I opened it up slightly, roughed it up and carefully laid in some JB, in about three layers IIRC- I wanted to build it up to make sure it had a grip, particularly on the inside of the crack. Anyway that was 15 years ago and that heater will still bake you out of the van. I did have to pull that dash and I would've preferred to replace it with a new one since I went to all that trouble but I'm cheap and I was broke to boot.

People have since told me that JB softens up in hot antifreeze but I haven't had a problem- anybody else heard that?

I was in Yosemite several years ago trying to buy some JB for a tent pole or table leg or something (don't know why I didn't have any, I usually do) and this store operator there told me he didn't like the stuff and thought it was snake oil, essentially. I told him about my heater core patch and he took a long look at me and said 'what part of Oklahoma you from?'

I said 'East Tennessee, actually'- he said 'same thing'.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Harris" <rdh24@CORNELL.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 2:10 PM Subject: alternate front heater core options?