Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:47:41 -0400
From:         Daniel Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Trickle Charger (follow up 182 Amps)
Comments: cc: davidj@ELPASOTEL.NET

David, I think what you are lookign for is a 'power converter' takes 110vt shore power and powers 12vt accessories, you will find these in most US built campers, trailers, and RVs as well as boats. MY ASI Riviera camper came with one, it supples a 5am trickle charge to the battery and powers a 'bank' of 12vt accessories. when unpluged from 110vt it routes the battery to power the accessories. <http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/30-AMP-RV-Power-Converter-by-Progressive-Dynamics_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50073QQihZ017QQitemZ270011767442QQrdZ1> Item number: 270011767442 these can be inexpensive if you have a "U-pull-it" style junkyard in your area, as I've reclaimed a few for under $30 new they're over $200 but can be found used on Ebay from time to time..

you will have to check their output amperage rating. mine is rated output of 20amps at 12 volts. some are 30, and larger RVs are 50amps.

but be warned, they are heavy (nearly as a battery) and can create some heat. (conversion of voltage) but make a nice addition to that aux battery you really wanted anyways..

Dead batteries? not any of my 4. yes 4 batteries in the camper.. weigh a lot?? less then passangers.. I'm not a minimalist.. My ASI already weighs more then a westy.. cabinet construction and all.. but I still get 25+ mpg on the highways.

Dan Stevens 1980 ASI turbo diesel conversion. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- From: David Johnson <davidj@ELPASOTEL.NET> Subject: Trickle Charger (follow up 182 Amps)

Ok, so thanks to all the list for the feedback on the RM 182 amps - sounds like no matter what, the best I could hope for is a few hours of fridge time. Just so far have not gotten my fridge lit on propane yet, so will probably have to pull it and clean out the combustion chamber and try again.

So, with that out of the question, I am not sure a deep cycle battery is worth it for the other 12v stuff. So has anyone used any of the trickle type chargers to keep a main battery up against a light weight inverter. I have seen them in the 2 watt trickle charge range. That seems awfully light weight, so has anyone used them to try and keep up a main battery against moderate use (maybe a fan, a couple hours of laptop draw for a movie, some lights).

Thanks again, David.