Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:28:44 -0700
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Syncro 16 wheels & tires situation
Comments: To: syncro@yahoogroups.com

Sorry about another tire thread, but this MAY be a bit different. I have read Derek Drew's excellent article re syncro wheels and tires (14", 15" & 16"). My 'new' Syncro 16 Dehler van (from Germany) has 16" 7.5J Barbet rims with 235/70/R16 tires - that are near the end of their life. As pointed out in Derek's article, these fat tires on fat rims rub cause the sliding door (when opened) to rub on the right rear tire.

So I agree with Derek that a 7.5 rim is too wide, but that's what came with the van. In my search for new tires, few shops could find what I wanted: 16" C rated highway tire (not off-road-mud tire), rated about 1600 lbs, to fit a 7.5J rim, and in one of Derek's suggested sizes: Revs/Mile Size Tire Height 680 245/75R16 30.6 682 215/85R16 30.5 707 225/75r16 29.4 715 235/70R16 29.1 730 225/70R16 28.5 These are from Derek's page: http://users.rcn.com/derekdrew/vanagon/All_About_16-Wheels_And_The_CV_900.htm

I can get tires in D or E load range for these wide 7.5 rims, but I want a softer ride. or I can find C rated tires in these sizes but they are all were rated as only to fit up to 6 or 7 J wide rims. Bummer.

After much hunting, We were able to find Uniroyal Larado tires with re-inforced sidewalls in: Revs/Mile Size 710 225/75/R16 (rated at 1900 lbs) 690 235/75/R16 (rated at 1900 lbs)

These tires seem to fit Derek's suggested specifications for Syncro 16 gearing.

I would have liked to find a 215/85/16 that would fit on a 7.5J rim, but no one in 3 different tire shops could find one.

I tried searching around the net, but few places allow me to input ALL of my requirements into their search engine.

Of course I could buy the 16" rims suggested by Derek, but there goes a lot more money :-(

You may have your favorite tire, but is it narrow (215) and tall (85) and rated for 7.5J rims??? Malcolm - in Halifax