Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:34:38 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: actuator failure

> Just had an autopage alarm installed... dummies put the alarm horn under > the front seat... talk about losing your hearing.

I've always wanted to install a super loud horn with self-contained backup power inside a welded steel box right next to the driver's ear. Nobody pays attention to car alarms, so I figure it'd be more effective to make them try to drive with an unstoppable 160dB horn drilling holes in their skull! But yeah, under the seat is pretty dumb.

BTW... the range on the autopage.. ain't that great... I've had rental cars > with remote keyless and horn... and their range was far superior... I don't > know... maybe a stronger battery for the remote? >

Usually the only way to get better range is with better antenna placement. Unless the remote battery is seriously going flat, a new battery won't do much. Where's the alarm box mounted? If it's under the seat, that's a tough place for radio to get out of. Ideally you want the little antenna wire to have a clear shot out the windows without having to go through metal. Really, there ain't very many good places in a Vanagon. I'm thinking I might mount mine up high in the empty space behind the starboard plastic AC shroud on the D pillar (one of forty-odd projects I haven't had time for).

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger"