Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:45:40 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@VANAGONPARTS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propane fired airconditioning

That's a pretty funny story. A good example of Darwinism in action.

Now... show me a documented story of someone getting hurt in a vehicle using hydrocarbon based refrigerant that wasn't a setup.

Cheers,

Jeff

There's a major difference there in that the propane in the cooking systems is on the downside of a regulator that is outside of the vehicle that keeps it at a very low pressure, as opposed to in an A/C system where it can be expelled into the passenger cabin all at once under high pressure, and since it is mixed with atomized oil to boot it is potentially a very explosive mixture.

The pressures in an MVAC system are actually at their highest 30-45 minutes after the engine is shut off due to the system continuing to absorb heat from the engine compartment without having any way to dispel it.

So you could have a scenario where you drive your Westy to the campground with the A/C on, you decide to cook your lunch or make some coffee or whatever shortly after you arrive and the A/C system blows a leak during its highest pressure period into the cabin where it explodes on contact with the stove flame.

It may not be necessarily likely but it is possible, and for those of you that insist it isn't possible or think that reports of hydrocarbon A/C explosions are all staged stunts, you should read about this particular staged stunt:

http://www.vasa.org.au/pdf/memberlibrary/hydrocarbons/maclaine-cross.pdf

It may not affect your thinking about hydrocarbon refrigerants but you have to admit it's pretty damn ironic. Additionally, if you spend some time looking you can find numerous news accounts etc. about hydrocarbon refrigerants causing fires and explosions in cars as well as a few legitimate studies that have demonstrated the potential for the same and the effects. This business of the companies that produce this stuff insisting that they know of no instances of fires or explosions is just the official corporate denial of big energy companies.

I've done more reading on this than I really wanted to since I first saw this debate a couple of years ago and I've come to the conclusion that all the major categories of refrigerants are dangerous in their own way. It seems to me that, like the fuel line issue, the best defense against a disaster is excellent preparedness and maintenance.

I don't personally care if anybody chooses to use hydrocarbons; it's legal here in Cali and for all I know everybody on my block has it. My issue with this discussion is that it is irresponsible for people continue to advocate the use of hydrocarbons not only without any warning that there might be safety and particularly legal issues, but with the insistence that the stuff is perfectly safe. It isn't.

I agree with Bange that these things are a matter of picking your trade-offs and living with them- I just think people seeking information should be as well informed as possible as to what those trade-offs really are, particularly when they're getting that information here.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robin Oomkes" <roomkes@ZONNET.NL> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 1:29 PM Subject: Re: Propane fired airconditioning