Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jul 2006 13:09:25 -0700
From:         Mike Rouby <mikerouby@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: I think I have given up on my cooling system...
Comments: To: robert shawn feller <carboncow@GMAIL.COM>

It's times like these I'm happy mine is air-cooled. It may be slower, but it's bulletproof. :)

robert shawn feller <carboncow@GMAIL.COM> wrote: after wasting $200 on a new radiator, fan switch and shipping I just cannot figure out what this damn vans problem is.

Once again here is the info, as I think I'm out of logical ideas.

Replaced coolant temp sensor this winter due to low reading on gauge which then instantly gave high readings. Readings seemed to get higher as spring and summer approach even getting LED blink at idle after long ride. So today we put in the new radiator and have the same issues post install.

here are the facts:

- two temp sender units (yes two new ones from same vendor) - two thermostats - Made resister box to test gauge. Seemed within spec although bentley book, online nor VDO have EXACT readings at a given temps. has to estimate values from different resources. Here is the data I have from compiling different sources: http://carboncow.net/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=7. Yes those "vague" hot/cold values are given by Vw in their tech manuals, how stupid! - Tested senders (2) based on vague data from bentley online, appeared to be withing spec - Pulled gauge cluster and tested voltage stabilzer (within bentley spec) - Checked grounds and wiring to sender/gauge and even reterminated connectors or cleaned contacts at both ends - fan speed sender unit operating fine and kicking on when expected. High speed fan is operational but not coming on. - Inferred thermal temp gun shows operating temps within spec on hoses and engine block. nothing over 195F...so that explains why fans are operating correctly if you believe the gun.

many on the list said the radiator was the next step due to restricted flow of 20 year old van/radiator. I could understand as severely restricted flow could give false readings to fan speed sender. then again that restricted flow would most likely show higher temps at highway speeds. Regardless we went with a new radiator and fan speed temp sensor. This sender is slightly lower in temps (from BD) and will kick on the fan a bit earlier. It does noticeably come on more...which is great. (Please don't bring up its bad to have lower fan on temps...the thermostat regulates engine temps on the low side not the radiator.)

If you consider the LED 4 out of 8 on the gauge I am running 6/8 on an 80F in Ohio driving around town or on the freeway. When I pull into the drive and let the van idle for 20 minutes after a long drive at 65mph it will go to 7/8 but the LED is not coming on today. If you read gowesty.com page on radiators he'd make you think 6/8 or 7/8 are very common while Bentley and many on this list talk about "dead on" 4/8. Wish I could have done this last week and tested in 95F degree temps to see if the LED will kick on.

Lastly the old radiator and fan speed sender did have a bit of black "oily" substance in them. Now since this van had a different engine from the PO who know what happened with that old one. Before you start saying, "ha! you have a bad head gasket" add this info to your theory first. No oil in water and no water in oil. We put a pressure tester on the cooling system and its holding pressure just fine and there are no bubbles (cavitation) from such a bad head gasket theory.

Should I just live with this or is there yet something else I can check?

-- shawn feller, ohio 1986 vw vanagon gl westfalia 1993 vw eurovan gl plus a couple of saabs, boats, jet skis, dog and wife (all require to much maintenance, accept the dog)...

www.carboncow.com www.carboncow.net