Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:45:41 -0700
From:         BA <oddstray@ODDSTRAY.COM>
Subject:      Re: Road Trip in UK
Comments: To: Paul Clarke <paul.clarke@IQEA.COM>

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:14:03 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi Folks, > >We are just about to hit the road for a summer holiday travelling >from north of Manchester UK to St Just in Cornwall. It is >approximately 400 miles and most of it is motorway (freeway) >driving. In England this means loads of traffic jams, quite a few >hills and such like. > >It is our first really big road trip in our Westy aircooled 82 van, >all serviced up and running but I am really nervous. Any advice >before we leave from you seasoned travellers over the pond? Should I >stop regularly to let it cool down, should I do anything special >regarding the trip in advance or is it just a case of ploughing on >and chilling? > >Thanks, >Paul >82 Westy GL aircooled

Here are comments from Simon (moved here in 1979 from near the Wales/UK border) ...

Is the point to just get from A to B, or to see stuff on the way?

It's kinda' fun to take Foss Way (which is an old Roman road) which goes through some really lovely countryside through the Midlands and may go as far as down the coast as Dorset. Keeps you away from the motorway traffic.

In my experience (now somewhat out-of-date), the traffic problem starts when you get to Exeter and have to travel on not-terribly-wonderful roads across Cornwall. And that's just the way it is!

B&S '87 Westy 'Esmerelda Blanc' SoCal