Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:43:51 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      "Free Box", was Re: Free--Westy rear seat in SF Bay Area

My wife subscribes to a thing called 'Freecycle' on which people post things in good condition that they'd rather give away than bother with trying to sell or donate- it's a pretty neat little system and you get some good stuff sometimes. My wife scored a six-person spa with a building on there for my folks. Of course the condition was that we had to move that heavy-ass thing and dismantle the building, but it was about a 5K 'freebie'. Anyway, the idea of having an active list for people to look at is a good one- the problem with posting a single message is that it's a one shot- if the person that could use the item doesn't see the post it's a waste of time and you still have the gewgaw taking up room in your garage. It's the same thing with posts on a bulletin board- once the post is no longer current it gets lost in the back pages. So how would we create a list or page that has all current offerings in one view? Would a Wiki work? Of course you might develop the problem of having things on the page that have been disposed of (if the offeror isn't prompt about removing them) but you'd think that might be a self-correcting problem since they'd probably continue to be bugged by people wanting the thing. Sometimes I feel that we as a group are not really taking advantage of some of the opportunities that current net technology offers us.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Geza Polony" <gezapolony@SBCGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 1:03 PM Subject: Re: Free--Westy rear seat in SF Bay Area