Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:40:07 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dr. Z - (vague volkswagen content)

The Type 2 was the numerical name of the Volkswagen Bus. It was advertised as a station wagon, as the word "Mini-van" was coined by Ford. Transporter the model name.

Bus was the common market name in the 50's and 60's because of it's appearance until in the 60's VW sought to increase sales with names like kombi, as bus to the average consumer was not popular.

Microbus of course was the name of the 21 and 23 window bus which helped sales immensely.Those helped jump start the Bus market.

Vans became a popular name in the 60's and 70-'s and VW captured it in Vanagon. A Van and station wagon.

You soon find out that a Vanagon is a full size van when you get in a mini-van. Big Ford Chevy and Dodge vans are the original vans. Nothing mini about those.

Vanagon boasted 200 cubit feet in the passenger van. No attempt there to sound mini.

So a Vanagon then is NEVER called a mini-van unless you shorten it or roll it.

But you can call it what you like but that depends on if you can take the cold stares.

Robert

1982 Westfalia