Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Jul 2006 21:56:45 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      [NVC] Dr. Z,Stout Scarabs, Dymaxions, and the Blowfly

Guys, --- and Ladies,

I know it's not Frydaye , and this is [NVC]..... but..... I couldn't resist, given all the discussion going on in the thread about Dr. Z, mini-vans, Stout Scarabs, Dymaxions, etc.

In 1914 there was a company in England that built a small airplane called the Gormerly Bulsh Blowfly. Three cylinder engines with burled walnut valves, 26 horpower, 100 rpm - It is an interesting tale.

Back in my early flying days hanging around the country airstrip I remember hearing some of the old timers - Englishmen among them - talk about the Gormerly and of course when the greenhorns like me were about, the oldsters would crank out the stories. Hangar Flying, as it were tall tales of blood, guts, glory, and dering-do!.

It seems the Gormerly got pretty popular for a while, and over time the Blowfly part kinda got dropped, and so did the Gormerly. But the Bulsh part stuck. So when someone announced they were going to the aerodrome for a little airwork, they were asked what they they were going to fly. The answer was the Bulsh. In the fullness of time, when asked what one was going to do out at the aerodrome, the stock answer came to be they were going out to Bulsh-it!

For those interested, the whole story of the Gormerly Bulsh Blowfly can be found at http://www.acroflyer.com/1914blowflye_aircraft.htm

Enjoy!

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver