Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Aug 2006 23:50:05 -0400
From:         robert shawn feller <carboncow@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 15" Wheels/Tires
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net>

there's an argument for everything on this board!

My boss has a great say..."analysis to paralysis"...

One old time expert on this board scream tests prove anything over 4K rpm for extended time causes high oil temp and excessive wear...everyone on this board agrees that high oil temps are far more deadly on this engine then most.

you argue 3700rpm creates to much torque and stress on an engine! We are not talking about a 2.1L trying to get up a mountain at 2000rpm at 65mph but 3700 on a flat highway at 70mph for 12 hours a day. Seems again that the good out weights the bad.

lastly for climbing mountains downshifting as invented...i'm quit sure improper gear/rpm selection by most consumers far outweighs the 250-300 at 70mph my larger tires bring me!

On 8/2/06, Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net> wrote: > Getting the RPMs down is not necessarily advantageous. There are limits. > While the perception is lower RPMs = better fuel economy and longer engine > life, this is not always true. The fuel consumption is mostly determined by > the "work" actually being performed. Lower RPM for the same work requires > more torque which means more stress. Overdone, and you get higher peak flame > temperatures which make more NOx and at some point can give those melted > pistons and burned valves. This really becomes evident with a tired engine > or running heavy loads in the mountains. > > In my opinion, a 26.5 to 27" tire is really the limit for the stock engine > and gearing. The 225/70-15 is a little high at ~27.5". This size does give > an excellent load rating though without the need for special tires although > I recommend the tire is rated for 44 psi inflation to maintain the handling > requirements. (Rear higher inflation than front to induce under steer). > > For optimal handling, I strongly recommend the 225/60-16. This is ~26.5" > tire, 98 load index, and short sidewall that still has enough room for > impact absorption. This size is also available reinforced and was used by VW > on the latest Eurovans. This tire size also works well with automatics. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > robert shawn feller > Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 10:54 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: 15" Wheels/Tires > > Larry is in the know about tires and rims but I have to add that I > noticed NO difference or loss of power going from a crappy 14" up to > 15" with 225/70R15. The plus far out way any percieved power issues > with the animic 2.1L. Plus oversized tires get the RPM down...which > never hurts a 2.1L. I'm guessing my combo added 100lbs or rolling > mass, but I cannot tell. Maybe I got a "good" engine! > > I may be a size to big for clearence though... > > Plus: > Better cross wind stability > Better ride with larger tires > Better road grip against hydroplaning and snow slip > Lower RPM = happy engine > > Cons: > More money > > Shawn > > On 8/2/06, Larry Chase <roadguy@roadhaus.com> wrote: > > Jeff, > > > > Even though like many others I run 15" wheels, I'm not sure I would agree > > that "a 15" wheel is the preferred size" > > > > All depends on one's objectives. > > > > If you have a stock 2.1L Waterboxer and plan to stay that way ... IMHO, > > there is a lot to be said for staying with a 14" wheel. A bit easier on an > > already taxed underpowered engine. Stills lots of good properly load rated > > 14" tires available. > > > > If you plan to do an engine conversion (TDI, Subie, Ztec etc)or just want > to > > fill the wheel wells a bit more ... 15" is a good choice. > > > > > > good road, > > good adventure, > > good life, > > > > larry chase > > www.roadhaus.com > > soon to be roadhaus.org > > > > - - - > > > > Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:34:21 -0400 > > From: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM> > > Subject: 15" Wheels/Tires > > > > Ok so with all this wheel and tire talk recently I got to thinking - it > > seems clear that a 15" wheel is the preferred size for a Vanagon and > should > > have been the stock size. Now I like the idea of more stability and better > > handling by upsizing in this area however I am not a fancy alloy wheel > kind > > of guy - I kinda like my Vanagon "ugly" like it was meant to be - so are > > there 15" rims that can be purchased that I can still put my "classic" VW > > chrome dome hub caps on? I know sort of a dumb question but I figure > someone > > here will know. > > > > -- > > Thanks, > > > > Jeff > > > > > -- > shawn feller > ohio > www.carboncow.com > www.carboncow.net > >

-- shawn feller ohio www.carboncow.com www.carboncow.net