Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Aug 2006 09:43:23 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 15" Wheels/Tires

Very long, read at your own risk.

Summary of what I say in the long message that follows: The wrong tires will make you wallow all over the road. Bad shocks will make you wallow all over the road. The wrong tires can fail if being used on a Vanagon. The right tires and good shocks make a very significant difference. And two nearly identical Westfalias, running 14" vs. 16" wheels, get damn near the same gas mileage. If you want the details of how I come to these conclusions, read on.

BTW, I expect a bunch of comments, explanations, etc. for what I relate here. This is posted to pass on real world experience, not to expand on theory. YMMV

Okay guys, I'm going to jump into this tire thread with some real world experience on two different Westies. I've told this tale before but it fits this conversation to a tee, all about tires, wheels, and shocks Keep in mind that some of this story occurred before the Internet and this list were providing the kind of information that is available to me today.

About 12 years ago I acquired my first Westfalia, an '85. It needed tires so off I went to the local, trusted tire supply store. They put on a set of 185R14 Michelin tires and I trusted that they were the right tires for the vehicle. Over the next five years I drove over 30,000 miles on those tires. I didn't know any better, I thought that it was natural for the Westy to wallow all over the road and scare the hell out of me in crosswinds. I drove from Seattle to Big Bear in California and back at least five times with those tires and many other places. Then one tire developed a separation, got very lumpy. Into my tire store for a fix. With what I later realized was a look of horror on his face, the clerk, without hesitation and after nearly six years, replaced two tires and adjusted the price down to less than the price of a single tire. He told me the tires I was replacing were no longer available and the tires he was putting on were 'better'. He also suggested replacing all four but I settled for two at the time, put them on the rear. The ride did improve a little. About a year later a second of the original four started to develop a separation. I pulled into the tire place as I was leaving for California again and asked for two more tires to match the newer tires on the rear. Though not in stock they arranged for me to have them put on in Vacaville, Ca. two days later. So, like an idiot, I drove nearly 800 miles with one very lumpy right front tire and because fools are sometimes protected by some kind of Devine Intervention, survived that trip without a blowout. I had the two new tires put on in Vacaville. I had not driven ten feet and I realized that there was something very different about the way the Westy handled. Even at driveway speeds it was apparent. No more wallow, solid on the road, crosswinds no longer feeling like a death threat. I was elated by the vastly improved performance on the rest of the trip. After returning home I took the '85 into the shop for some work and told my mechanic to replace the shocks (I was starting to realize that handling could be improved). He put on the shocks available from NAPA, KYB's. My mechanic commented that the old shocks were 'hammered' and probably the originals from the factory. I had close to 160,000 on the van at that time. Again, a very noticeable improvement in handling and drivability with the new shocks. The lesson was very clear even though it took me six years to learn it: The right tires and good shocks make one hell of a difference in handling on a Vanagon, probably even more on a Westfalia. BTW, for information, the wallowy, soft, and separating tires were, to the best of my recollection, Michelin XZX's, no longer made. The replacements were the Michelin MXT's, a really great tire but also NLA.

Jump ahead a couple of months. The '85 was totaled and replaced with a '90 Westy. It needed tires but by now I've subscribed to the various Internet lists and know a little bit. So off to the tire place and had a set of 185R14 Agilis put on. Great ride, now in for an alignment. Much better ride (It was obvious the Westy needed an alignment). Then into the mechanic for all the stuff you have done when acquiring a new/old vehicle. Based on past experience I had ordered a set of KYB's and had them put on also. With the Agilis and the new shocks and an alignment the ride was great and solid, crosswinds barely noticeable. I acquired a set of used VW alloys (6" rim vs. steel 51/2" rim) and put them on. Almost to the point that it is subjective, but I swear that there was a slight improvement in ride and stability with the wider rims. I also experimented with tire pressure. I ended up finding that the factory recommended pressure, on the little sticker, was the best handling and best riding for me. Surprise, surprise, maybe those German engineers know what they are doing. I've put about 30,000 miles on the '90 now. And last spring I made one more change. The KYB's are great until you get to a little bit of roughness on the highway or onto a dirt road, then they are harsh, very harsh. So I ordered a set of Bilstiens for the front and had them put on just before heading for Syncro de Mayo. I liked the improved ride comfort so much that when I got to Santa Cruz I had Peter at Van Cafe (where I'd ordered the front Bilsteins) put Bilsteins on the rear. With the Bilsteins all around the ride is superb. Soft when it needs to be but very, very stable in the turns and much, much better than the KYB's on rough roads and washboards.

Now to one other tid bit. Part of this thread has talked about larger wheels/tires reducing RPMs and thus saving gas. Well, here it is, from the real world. Last Fall Phil Zimmerman and I spent about 10 days wandering around NE Oregon, before and after the Bus Pilots Reunion at Catherine Creek. I'm running stock 14" factory alloys, Phil, on his '87 Westy, is running 16" wheels and Nokians, I think 215's, don't know the aspect ratio. And we both have automatics. I do know, based on GPS data, that my speedometer was reading about 2% high, Phil's was running about 3 to 5% low. We did a lot of up and down, around and back, driving. When we would stop to get gas, with one exception, he would take anywhere from a tenth to five tenths of a gallon less than I did. But, I noticed that when headed down hill, usually with the foot off the gas, I'd tend to overtake him, I rolled faster. But wait, there's more. This Spring, Phil and I again were running together on the way to Syncro de Mayo, me with 14" wheels, Phil with 16". On this trip, for well over 2,000 miles, when we'd fill up I was the one using less gas! Again, from a tenth to as much as a half gallon. I'd made two changes that could account for the difference. One, rebuilt injectors and the engine running better than it ever has, and second, the addition of a Bagawest carrier in the luggage rack that may be creating a better aerodynamic flow over my rig.

But either way, the difference in gas mileage was very little between the 14" vs. 16" wheels.