Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Aug 2006 13:29:09 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1000 mile rebuild recommendations?
Comments: To: Michael Diehr <md03@XOCHI.COM>

Frequent oil changes on rebuilt engines is helpful to get rid of the dirt and stuff that was not cleaned out or created during the rebuild. The larger stuff should have been handled by the filter anyway.

Valve adjustment is not nescasary unless they were miss adjusted to begin with. If set properly no adjustment is needed unless something fails. Hopefully, they weren't set with clearance.

Running with the O2 sensor disconnected is non sense. If you are seeing a 3 mpg improvement wit it connected, then you are running rich and if done long enough, you might as well the catalytic converter good bye. A hesitation on take off is a common Vanagon malady that may need troubleshooting, but disconecting the O2 sensor is not a fix. If the O2 sensor is working, the only adjustment is the idle bypass. The mixture screw on the air flow meter has no effect above idle. Any further adjustment is really tampering. As far as running rich being good for a rebuild, I fail to see how excess fuel washing off the oil or leaving some soot behind can be of any good.

Dennis

----- Original Message ----- From: Michael Diehr <md03@XOCHI.COM> Date: Thursday, August 3, 2006 12:05 pm Subject: Re: 1000 mile rebuild recommendations?