Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Aug 2006 12:54:32 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: My R134a experience

Basically because it's a violation of Federal law.

http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/snap/refrigerants/hc12alng.html

Some folks think the intent is to force people to have their old R-12 captured instead of venting it to the atmosphere. It almost reads like they're acknowledging an unintentional loophole after the fact. I'm thinking most people that are converting are doing so because they lost their R-12 charge in the first place and they don't want to pay the price for it now.

At any rate, the only legal retrofit from R-12 is R134a, but they didn't regulate retrofits from R-134a, hence the loophole and the three-part progression.

Compliance with the law as a practical matter is of course a personal choice, but there you have it.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Zeitgeist" <gruengeist@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 12:16 PM Subject: Re: My R134a experience