Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Aug 2006 22:51:34 -0400
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Buses Of The Corn 2006... T-Shirt info now available.
Comments: To: Type2 <type2@type2.com>, list vintage bus <vintagebus@type2.com>,
          bus list <ohiovalleytribe@yahoogroups.com>

Hi Volks,

If you need more info about Buses Of The Corn, here it is.... Note that I'll be on vacation from noon Friday until Saturday August 11th, so if you send me an email I might be a while responding.

WHEN AND WHERE: The Sixth Annual Buses Of The Corn will be held August 18th to 20th, 2004 near Whitby, Ontario Canada. That's about 25 minutes NE of Toronto, and within 2.5 hours of the border crossing at Buffalo. The gates open Friday at noon, and we have to be off the site by noon Sunday.

WHAT'S GOING ON: The "Great Canadian Bug Show" is a distant memory now, but you can still get your used-parts needs met at the swap meet on Saturday morning's agenda at BOTC. Other events will include a repeat of last year's very popular Tie-Dye Workshop, an authentic Full Moon Bus Club Burrito Breakfast, our 9-hole Frisbee Golf course, the popular Bus Driving Skillz Challenge, a Bocce tournament, kids scavenger hunt, Corn Roast and pot-luck dinner, and campfire. We're also setting up the "Teen Zone" in order to make those at the "awkward age" feel more welcome at a family event.

WHO CAN ATTEND: All years of VW bus are welcome at the event. Factory original or home brewed, run-down beater or trailer queen... bring it on in! We have room for over 100 buses on the site. Kids, adults and well- mannered pets are welcome.

COST: Preregistration is now closed. Camping fees will be $25 for the weekend, or $15 for a one-night stand.

T-SHIRTS: My buddy Adam at Suburban Design Core did a great job once again. You can see the shirt here: http://www.busesofthecorn.com/T-shirts.html Even though I'm on vacation, the T-shirt orders will be taken care of by the capable staff at Suburban Design Core.

REGISTRATION: If you're planning on attending and haven't pre-registered, it would be greatly appreciated if you could drop me a line and let me know you're coming, when you're arriving and how many people are coming with you. Thanks!

FACILITIES: Did you ever that phrase "You get what you pay for"? BOTC is proof of this statement. In order to deliver a campout as fun as BOTC for such an amazing low price, we cut a few corners. We have pit toilets, the kind without the flush. There are 4 coin-op shower stalls that thankfully do have hot water. Speaking of water... Thanks to new water regulations in Ontario, we have to bring our own drinking water. We keep coming back to this location because it's a nice quiet campsite well away from main roads, trains, airports and nosy neighbours. If numbers make it necessary I will bring in additional porta-potties to keep things sanitary. Rules of the facility prohibit alcohol, firearms, fireworks, unleashed pets and loud noise after 11PM. As long as we keep it cool and follow "Red-Cup" protocols everyone will have a good time.

BOTC VS OTHER CAMPOUTS: Really, it's not a contest. Campouts are places to have fun, relax, and enjoy the company of other VW owners. It's about 16 hours driving from HCBF to BOTC, No big deal at all if you have a week to get there. A bit long for one trip. AMHIK. The short route from Dixie Bus Gathering is less than 8 hours, but there's no rule that says you can't make it longer. I think some day I'm taking the long way around Lake Michigan, just to say I did. Your milage may vary.

CANADA? IS THAT BORDER STILL OPEN? Yes, the world's longest undefended border is still open and it is not at all difficult to cross. For most people these few simple rules apply: 1. Bring Photo-ID. Passports are not required for US Citizens, but if you already have one it can't hurt to bring it. A drivers license and birth certificate is fine. Children do not need photo-ID. 2. Leave your guns and non-prescription drugs at home. If you need to bring a prescription drug with you, be sure to bring the prescription, too. 3. If you are bringing a pet, be sure to bring proof of rabies vaccination within the past 12 months.

WHAT ABOUT SARS AND MAD-COW DISEASE?? 1. SARS is officially extinct in Canada. China has a few cases, but there are NONE here. 2. Mad Cows are prohibited from the campground. No, really... you can bring your own burgers if you think it's a problem. (But it isn't.) You will need to make sure there's no beef in your cooler for the trip home though.

THE WEBSITE http://www.busesofthecorn.com with more details, pics of previous camps, etc.

If there's anything you need to know, want to donate (Door Prizes) or have to say about Buses Of The Corn, please email me at Greg@pottsfamily.ca

Happy trails,

Greg Potts Toronto, Ontario, Canada