Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Aug 2006 08:21:22 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Strange no start problem - issue with fuel pump relay - input
              requested!
Comments: cc: Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>

Zoran, you are right, the Bentley diagram for 88-89 has it wrong. I wrote about this several months ago. Page 97.206 has the correct wiring for the 2 engine relays, shown as 1990+. The fuel pump relay also provides power to the injectors, pulsed by the ECU when the ECU pulses the ground side.

You have one thing wrong though. The power to turn on both the relays comes from the key switch but the fuel pump only runs when the ECU provides ground to it on pin 85. The other relay(ecu relay) always has ground on it's pin 85 so as soon as the key is turned on it turns on. The fuel pump relay needs the key on too but then also needs the ECU to provide ground on it's pin 85. If the fuel pump relay has power on it's pin 86 but does not run for a couple seconds when the key is turned on, the ECU may be at fault by not providing the ground on pin 85. Or the relay could be bad, or the wire from the ecu to pin 85 may be bad. Remember that this is not true ground, but ground through a transistor inside the ECU, only when the ECU turns on the transistor.

Mark