Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Aug 2006 12:18:56 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: new muffler question: BusDepot offerings

It's all in the "ear" of the beholder ;-)

Myself, from 1997 to the middle of last year I used the Italian made replacement from Ansa, a high quality name in exhaust components. While very quiet for most of time I used it, it did start getting a bit loud in the noise department the last year I used it, but I account that to just plain old age and a LOT of miles, so it just got TIRED - all mufflers do, the best or worst of the lot. The better the construction, the longer they do last, but that of course is dependant on where you're at, the Rust Belt verses the almost Rust-Free Left Coast (PNW excepted).

Stebro Stainless would probably be the best way to go for longevity and it runs fairly quiet itself.

Since the middle of last year I have used the Ernst. Quality of construction is the best by far that I've used over the years on other VWs and it does run quieter in my view. I am sure it will last as long or even outlast the Ansa.

Most of your better quality WD importers have abandoned Leistritz, Bosal and Jopex/Dansk made mufflers and carry Ernst because of the quality factor. This is one time they haven't listened to their "bean counters".

YMMV -- Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com ********************************** On 8/4/06, Dave Vickery <davevickery@hotmail.com> wrote: > > I bought the Earnst after someone recommended it and I wasn't that > impressed > with it quietness. Nothing wrong, just not amazed by it. Can't really > compare it well to others, so this reply may not be much help. > > > >From: ".go.brown." <kite.wagon@GMAIL.COM> > >Reply-To: ".go.brown." <kite.wagon@GMAIL.COM> > >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >Subject: new muffler question: BusDepot offerings > >Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 21:22:21 -0700 > > > >need to replace the muffler/tailpipe/strap on my '84 1.9l-- rust finally > >overwhelmed them. > > > >looking at BusDepot, they have a $93 euro made OEM and a $141 Ernst > German > >made. searched old posts (god i love searching gmail rather than trying > to > >search the official archives) and saw one testimonial in favor of the > Ernst > >("quieter, heavier"). > > > >i'd of course like to save the ~50bones if the benefit is marginal, but > >could definitely be talked into springing for it if someone's got data on > >distinct performance or quietness gains. > >thanks in advance for any shared expertise or reco's! > > > >hope everyone's having an awesome summer-- before the rust out the old > girl > >has been providing excellent beach access for whats been an above-average > >kiteboarding season so far! take care/shiva