Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Aug 2006 14:23:05 -0400
From:         Ronald Michaels <rbm1024@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      several questions about my 1984 westy

Hi from Ron

I am a new boy here and I have gotten a lot of good pointers from reading this list and searching the archives. thanks very much to the list owners.

I recently bought a white 1984 westy with automatic transmission, 15 inch aloy wheels and Michelin tires 215/65 15, Yakama roof rack, and big front brakes. This vehicle appears to have been a California bus at one time because it had some kind of inspection sticker on it. The vehicle was later titled in Idaho and possibly Alabama. The accessories suggest that the vehicle was owned by someone who enjoyed buying stuff from GoWesty.

Here is my list of questions:

Does anyone on the list have any idea who the previous owners are? Any maintenance history would be appreciated. The engine is dirty and the exhaust system would not survive being taken off. That suggests that the engine has not been opened up in a long time; however, it must have been removed and replaced recently because the torque converter plate was loose and rattled. Also the water hoses around the engine have been replaced very recently.

The big front brake replacement has the steel tubes coming out of the calipers and connecting to the rubber hoses, but there is no fixed support. Normally, I would expect to see a mechanical support at that connection to keep the steel tube from vibrating and cracking. How would you recommend I deal with this?

There are slots on the knobs that tighten up the roof rack crossbars to the mounts. What are they for? If for a key, how does it work and where can I get a key?

The water hose connection on the side of the bus is slightly smaller than any of my hoses. I filed down a standard hose fitting to screw into the connection. Is there a better way?

This engine has a strange knock. I have been a VW owner and maintainer for more than 40 years and I have never heard this particular knock. It is not a valve or rod knock, nor can I find an exhaust leak that corresponds to the knock. At idle, the knock can just be heard. As I open the throttle and the engine speeds up, the knock gets louder and sharper. I then close the throttle and the engine slows down - no knock. As the engine warms up, the knock gets sharper. It might be piston slap on one cylinder or possibly a loose main bearing, but those arein my experience "duller" sounds. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Would anyone care to compare the 1.9 engine to the stock 2.1 engine and to the GoWesty 2.2 engine, and to any other rebuilding options. I could use the hill climbing power here in East Tennessee. Long life is useful as well.

The side door handle was broken off. Based on what vendors offer and photographs on the web, it appears that this is a problem. I finally got a new handle and put it on, but it appears that there is a seal missing. I am considering getting a plastic part made up to fill the vacant space between the handle and the door sheet metal. Can someone comment on the door handle breakage and parts availablity.

Ron's Vehicles, past and present

1956 Karman Ghia 1961 VW Bug 1957 Porsche coupe 1958 Porsche convertible 1957 Porsche speedster 1966 VW Squareback 1969 VW Fastback old? VW South African Bug 1985 VW Brazilian Bus 1978 VW bus 1984 Westy 1985 Westy

Thanks,

Ron

-- Ronald Michaels

__________________________________________________________________ Switch to Netscape Internet Service. As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register