Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Aug 2006 22:10:57 -0400
From:         neil <goofymuso@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Tachometer troubleshooting
Comments: To: Ryan Shawley <easywind1975@HOTMAIL.COM>

--- Ryan Shawley <easywind1975@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

> I got an 86 westy 4spd, with cruise control > installed and working. My tachometer does not work, > when I first picked up the van and was doing nitty > gritty cleaning I had the gauge cluster off and the > wire for the tach was intact and the connector was > snug. I didn't see any obvious problems with the > guage. I'd like to have a working tach so how can I > trouble shoot it? Can I test the signal wire > somehow with the engine running, like with a > multimeter or something? I hate to purchase and > install another tach unit only to find out the > signal is not there? Is there a way to test the > gauge itself? Now while I am running without a tach > can somebody give me some pointers for shifting > without the tach, reading the archives now has me > terrified of lugging the engine. (don't think I'm a > complete fool, I've been driving my 5spd jetta since > new in 01 and the owners manual indicates to only > downshift when things drop below 1500ish, this > conditioning is probably not appropriate for the > westy). Specfically here in western pa we have a > lot of hills, on a highway what top speed is it safe > to drive in 3rd gear? >

Hi.

In most of my vehicles I tend/ed to shift by "ear", but in my Westy I pay attention to speedo. (sometimes too noisy insde to hear engine) It has markings of what I assume is "suggested" shift points, though I don't always take it up to those marks. Again, I tend to use my ear. And instinct/logic. (i.e. usually no need to wind er' out on level road! ;^) In any case, I just make sure I don't rev to what sounds too high, and if I do push it, I don't do that for too long, nor do I let it lug. Especially when on any significant grade.

As for tach, if you have a spare piece of wire, why not remove tach take it out and wire it to connection at engine? Or, I imagine, though not certain, that a VOM should indicate whether voltage (variable) is present at end of wire that connects to tach. Either way you will know if wire is at fault. If not, look towards tach and make sure connection in engine compartment is secure.

Cheers.

Neil.

Neil Nicholson. 1981 air cooled Westfalia. Cheap-o web site:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/tubanick/welcomewesty.html