Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Aug 2006 12:53:43 -0800
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: ultimate vanagon challenge
Comments: To: Helena Troy <lacewingfairy@HOTMAIL.COM>

RE: "A; Do I get it out of there an into the nearest vana- friendly mechanic (perhaps that is also open on saturdays?) or > should I just get it home (a mere 2500 miles) to the van spa at Vanagain after checking what I can to make sure its not all > gulliwumpus?"

The answer depends on you, your attitude, and how adventurous, resourceful, mechanically adept, etc, you are.

When we purchased our `87 Westy Syncro three years ago it was in Berkeley, CA and we live in Anchorage, AK. I had a vanagon familiar shop inspect it before the purchase and then we, my wife, our then 9 month old son and I, flew down and drove it 3500 miles home to Anchorage. Our trip was not trouble free, the alternator died outside of Tacoma and the clutch failed in Whitehorse, but I was able to deal with both items with no more then a three day delay. The route you are taking will have a lot more access to repair facilities and parts then we had so you should be fine to drive it once a few certain items have been inspected and/or replaced. Find a vanagon familiar shop that is near the the van and have them give it a good once over with particular attention to fuel lines, the cooling system, brakes, engine(tune up), transmission, tires, suspension & steering,axles, etc. Ask them what the van needs to be ready for the journey that you are about to under take and then d ecide whether to drive it or ship it. You can also ask around and see if there is a knowledgeable list member in the are that would take a look at it for you, I have done this and usually found someone that is willing to.

Mark in AK

----- Original Message ----- From: Helena Troy <lacewingfairy@HOTMAIL.COM> Date: Tuesday, August 1, 2006 8:09 am Subject: ultimate vanagon challenge To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM