Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Aug 2006 18:57:14 -0700
From:         Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Battery usage shouldn't be our style. (p-mail)
Comments: To: Bob Elliott <bobe@LAME.CA>

P-mail? Yes, this has nothing to do with VW's, no reason I can see to for this to be on the list. This is your rant. We all do what we can and what we have to and try to get by, that's life. At least it is for me.

In my opinion I think you are some kind of shit for bringing this person e-mail to the list... If I'd been rude or insulting but by suggesting you came on a little strong? Again, the best of luck to you.

Rob becida@comcast.net

At 8/6/2006 06:35 PM, Bob Elliott wrote: >At 04:34 PM 8/6/2006, you wrote: > >Sent by personal eMail? > > >>Came on a little strong there. > >Thank goodness someone did ... maybe it's time you saw astronomic >increase of ozone depletion, the effects of global warming, >individual waste generation etc. as just a bit more offensive than >your misplaced sensibilities towards my comments > > >>One would hope that you don't own anything that takes batteries and >>are indeed riding a bike. > >What is the point of this comment? Is it supposed show that my >comments are invalid because I use batteries (re-chargeable and solar >charged)? Aren't you listening? I own a Vanagon! That is my personal >indulgence and biggest environmental sin. > >>Then again it takes all kinds in this world, even people like you <shrug>. > >Rob, it's the <shrug> attitudes of this world and criticisms and >dismissal of those who voice for change that got us to this sorry >environmental point in the first place ... > >>Best of luck > >Oh please ... > >>Rob >>becida@comcast.net >> >> >>At 8/6/2006 04:21 PM,Bob Elliott wrote: >>>The last week on the list has produced some product endorsements that >>>I've found quite disturbing, in particular when these endorsements >>>originate from our supposedly nature appreciating group. Specifically >>>when the products mentioned this week use "C" and "D" cell batteries, >>>in some cases "8" at a time! How can we sanction this when the >>>majority of Westy owners have 12volt available to power these >>>devices? Regardless, how can we endorse the use of these products >>>period! I noticed that there was some discussion of wiring these into >>>our 12v systems or adding a cigarette lighter plug but there was no >>>chastising of the folks that actually bought these devices. Well >>>then, I'll do it ... What the hell were you thinking????? Any device >>>that needs 12v had better also need to be portable (flashlights, PS >>>etc) and these fans definitely don't need to be portable!!!! By >>>buying these environmental abominations you are encouraging the >>>WalMarts of the world to order more of this product and in doing so >>>the "earth killing" cycle continues. Where do the buyers and users of >>>these products think these batteries go when you fling them out in >>>the trash? There has been no mention of the environmental impact that >>>the disposal of these batteries have on the planet ... take the time >>>to Google and learn. On top of all this no mention was made of >>>re-chargeable batteries to run these electrical Neanderthals. It >>>amazes me the amount of effort and discussion that goes into Vanagon >>>implementation, maintenance and use of solar panels to run laptops, >>>stereos and portable DVD players in the wilds, but not a word about >>>using solar power to charge batteries to run small use appliances! >>> >>>The reality is that our vans (in comparison to more modern >>>technology) roll the earth in far from environmentally positive >>>terms. Our stock engines produce high toxic emissions and our >>>dinosaur carcass consumption is at times truly shameful. To balance, >>>to a degree, these facts I believe it would be prudent to off-set the >>>negatives with a more environmentally positive approach to all other >>>aspects of our vehicles. These efforts would include (when affordable >>>and practical) the conscious use of reusable products, renewable >>>energy sources and the appropriate disposal of used material. I >>>realize that numerous members have already developed and implemented >>>these approaches and we should all applaud their initiative and >>>continued efforts. >>> >>> >>>I realize that the 'old guard' will find many faults with this >>>writing and will somehow devise a way to defend 8 disposable "D" cell >>>usage for a fan. To them I say that a wide tongue is often the >>>product of a narrow heart. >>> >>>sincerely >>> >>>bob elliott >>> >>> >>>-- >>>No virus found in this outgoing message. >>>Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. >>>Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.10.7/410 - Release Date: 8/5/2006 >> >> >> >> >> >>-- >>No virus found in this incoming message. >>Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. >>Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.10.7/410 - Release Date: 8/5/2006 > >Have you noticed that shallow is the new deep. > > >-- >No virus found in this outgoing message. >Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. >Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.10.7/410 - Release Date: 8/5/2006