Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Aug 2006 14:57:29 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Odometer not working. Will 1984 unit work in 1990?

On 8/1/06, J S <jdshoes@gmail.com> wrote: > 1990 Vanagon GL > > After reading a few notes files, I tried the easy fix. I removed the > instrument cluster, removed the speedometer/odometer from the cluster, > and noted the shaft had just fallen out of the end of its groove. I > pushed it back in and shifted the lugs (?) over slightly. As I > expected, it worked for .5 of a mile.

Yeah, mine did the same thing. I bet the odo drive gear is the metal kind.

> > I have an old speedometer/odometer from my 1984 Wolfsburg. > > Question: Will this work in the 1990 van? The unit size looks the > same, however, where the speedometer cable attaches, it looks slightly > different from what I recall when I had the 1990 part out.

I happen to have a pile of Early speedometers (I was the idiot who bought those six old-style instrument clusters on eBay for $60-- what can I say, I am clearly ill) and a few Late ones as well right here in front of me. Other than the fact that the Early model is cast metal and the Late one is plastic, it appears to me that the attachment points are identical. In theory you could even pull out the little L-shaped circuit board for the Dynamic Oil Pressure System and just kinda tape it to the exterior of the Early style speedo, plugged into the blue ribbon cable.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger"