Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Aug 2006 13:58:39 -0400
From:         John Meeks <vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Report: Stainless Coolant Pipes

Well I've finally finished work on my (son's) '85GL. As promised in the recent Coolant Pipe replacement thread, here is a report on the Bus Depot stainless replacement pipes. I ordered these 2 piece pipes to replace the steel (rust) pipes that run from the engine to the radiator on the Vanagon through early 1985.

The pipes appear to be of high quality with smooth ends and nicely formed hose clamp ridges. They came with no instructions, but if you take note of which side your old pipes occupied then lay out the new pipes next to them it will be obvious which goes where.

I installed these pipes with the fuel tank removed, but their two piece design would make it easier to do the installation with the tank in place. I would think it would be more difficult to remove the old pipes than to install the new ones with the tank in.

When I fitted the pipes up to their new position it was evident that the pipes were correctly bent and sized and there was no problem aligning them with the hoses at each end. No modifications were needed to fit them through the hole in the cross-member as you would if using the plastic pipes or heater hose for replacement and they snugged right into the existing fore and aft heater hose/coolant pipe brackets. When both pipes snapped perfectly into their slots under the engine tin I knew life was good ;)

With both back and front ends clamped into their respective engine and radiator hoses, I was left with about a 3 1/2" space between these 2 piece pipes. Since BD had the heater hose for this hookup on backorder, I sourced the hose locally. Two 8" pieces of 1 1/4" I.D heater hose did the trick perfectly.

I'd call this an easy and durable replacement for anyone with rusty steel coolant pipes.

One tip: be sure the hose clamps on the engine hose to pipe connection are positioned so the clamp screws will not rub into the heater hose.

Another tip: Tie wraps are a wonderful thing. -- PS I took dozens of lousy unfocused pix of the installation. The one photo that for unknown reasons did come out is posted at: http://www.vanagonauts.com/Stainless-Replacement-Pipes191.htm

John Meeks

Vanagon Rescue Squad http://www.vanagonauts.com/Vanagon_Rescue_Squad74.htm

'91 Multivan Top o' Northern Michigan KC8ZFN