Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Aug 2006 22:17:52 -0700
From:         chris <vanagon@FRONTLEFTSPEAKERPOSSE.COM>
Subject:      Re: squishy rocker arm? / adjusting hydro valves

I was just rereading the ratwell writeup on this subject and think this maybe where im at now...

"If there is any movement, then the lifter is soft and your adjustment will be compressing the spring inside the lifter. When this happens, you should run the engine with a 0.006" clearance on that lifter for 10-15 minutes then re-attempt a hydraulic adjustment when the engine cools enough for you to work on it again."

taking it from where it is now to .006 will require backing the adjusting screw way out, which would be pretty far off from where it would usually need to be wouldnt it?

I guess either way I need to run it a bit to build up pressure on that one before attempting to adjust again?

chris wrote: > adjusting hydraulic valves on aircooled 81, motor was recent rebuilt, > now has about 500 miles on it. > > > I did the exhaust and intake on #1, then turned 180 and did the intake > on #2, but when I got to the exhaust valve on #2, it was sorta hard to > find that 'just touching' point. > > if I place my thumb on the rocker arm, after loosening the adjuster a > bit, I can press down. it feels squishy. > > if I keep backing the #2 exhaust valve adjustment screw out, it keeps > feeling like its 'just touching' from that spot. > when I press down on the rocker arm with my thumb again, then its far > apart from the valve. > > > > chris