Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:00:20 -0400
From:         Chris Dixon <jahsurf@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Westy Rental in The OC?

Hey Vanagonauts, I'm traveling back to Orange County from Charleston SC in September (9-16) for a week. Would anyone consider renting me your westy while I'm there? Thanks Chris Dixon

-----Original Message----- From: LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:00 AM Subject: vanagon Digest - 9 Aug 2006 (#2006-667)

Topics of the day:

1. Favorite Michigan Camping Places? (2) 2. blue vs green vs orange coolant - sierra 3. COVVC Show anyone going?? 4. Fwd: Re: Favorite Michigan Camping Places? 5. Freebie update...

Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 15:17:50 -0700 From: Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@CYBERTRAILS.COM> Subject: Re: Favorite Michigan Camping Places?

Christopher Gronski wrote:

> ...I'll take ANY Michigan suggestion.

I'm partial to Warren Dunes State Park over on Lake Michigan... in the southwest corner, about a dozen miles south of St Joe. By late August the water should almost be warm.

Geo H

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.10.8/413 - Release Date: 8/8/2006

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 15:25:05 -0700 From: Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@CYBERTRAILS.COM> Subject: Re: blue vs green vs orange coolant - sierra

Mike Meuser wrote:

>Hi - I've used Sierra Coolant in my 83-1/2 for 210K miles with no >problems... >

I too use this and have been surprised it hasn't been mentioned before. Not terribly expensive (compared to some recently mentioned) as they seem to have a perpetual $2/gallon rebate offer -- usually ends up around 8 or 9 bucks a gallon.

Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 22:17:01 -0400 From: Brien Dews <vwvanagon@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: Favorite Michigan Camping Places?

Da U.P. eh! For the more rugged camping style two of my favourites are....

Find Glover's Corners east of Skanee and follow Huron Rd till your front tires get wet in Lake Superior. Alternately, take the ferry from De Tour Village to Drummond Island and drive as far east as possible and park. Finish by hiking to the limestone cliffs on Lake Huron.

As George suggested Warren Dunes is a great state park. P.J Hoffmaster in Muskegon, Sleeping Bear National Lake Shore north of Empire, Wilderness S.P. west of Mackinaw City and Cheboygan S.P. are other great areas if you are looking for the State Park type of camping in the Lower Peninsula.

On 8/9/06, Christopher Gronski <gronski@gmail.com> wrote: > > Where "way north"? > > On 8/9/06, Brien Dews <vwvanagon@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > Chris, > > While Flint and favourite camping spots are a bit of an oxymoron in my > mind > > I did stay at a campground in the Genesee Rec Area just north of Flint > one > > time. Address is 7004 Irish Rd, Otisville MI 48463. It was an ok > campground > > for a quick overnight stay. For "real" Michigan camping you need to go > way > > north. > > If you will be in Michigan around September 15-17 come join us at the > fall > > Buses by the Beach event in Grand Rapids MI. > > Miles of Smiles, > > Brien > > > > > > On 8/9/06, Christopher Gronski <gronski@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi All, > > > > > > I need to make a trip to Flint Michigan in a couple of weeks or so and > > > I thought I'd do some camping while I was there. What are your > > > favorite Michigan campgrounds? > > > > > > Ideally I'd like something near Flint (or East towards Port Huron) but > > > I'll take ANY Michigan suggestion. > > > > > > Thanks, > > > Chris > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > Brien K Dews CC-AWCI > > www.busesbythebeach.com > > 84 Wolfsburg Westfalia > > 88 Vanagon 'Carrier' > > 89 Vanagon 'Bluestar' >

Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 22:48:52 -0400 From: Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@WHISPLLC.COM> Subject: COVVC Show anyone going??

Hi all Is anyone going to the COVVC show in columbus ohio this weekend?? Or maybe the Dixie Bus camp out starting thursday?? Im heading down Friday night from Ann Arbor area at about 2:00. Still havent decided on what to Drive. Weather looks to be great. Anyone want to caravan or meet up along the way? The web site is < www.covvc.org/ > This is a great show if youve never been then youve missed out.

If you see me there say Hi. I will be the one pedaling the vw sunshades and blocks for busses and vanagons from 1955 to 1991. c-ya Jonce

Jonce Fancher

56 Single Cab 66 Sunroof Bug 66 Variant Squareback 66 Porsche 912 71 Sunroof Bus 84 Vanagon "Gottfried" 85 Vanagon Westi 2003 10 Passenger Sprinter

Fancher's Upholstery Inc. - www.fanchers.com Not-A-VW Club- http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransont3/notavwclub/

Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 22:59:40 -0400 From: Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@WHISPLLC.COM> Subject: Fwd: Re: Favorite Michigan Camping Places?

Hi Chris There are alot of "nice" campgrounds pending what you are looking for. If you want a state park with hook ups, playground, canoe rental, bike paths etc. And dont mind the weekend camp crowds then Brighton and pinkney state rec are very nice. My Kids love running around with all the other kids. But if your idea is to have tranquil night sleep and see no one and sleep with the animals then yes up north of Bay city is where it starts to get a little more peaceful. Ive done most of the Local to Ann Arbor camp areas (aka within 1 hour). I find them to be crowded and loud on weekends but weekdays they are fine. I just take foam ear plugs and drown out the PITA campers. I really dont think Sterling state park is all that good to hang out at do to a recent remodel and no shade or trees. But if you want more info all the camp grounds are listed on the state park web site. alot of the Family ones do Book solid before school starts up so be prepared to not be able to find a site. Good Luck and if Through the Ann Arbor Area of I-94 and US-23 and need to take a break give an email and we could connect and lie about vws for a spell. c-ya Jonce

Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 20:21:52 -0700 From: Rob Rubin <robrubin@SBCGLOBAL.NET> Subject: Freebie update...

So on the way to the, well it really doesn't matter, but someone called me and said they could get a friend to pick it, the free motor, up this weekend. So, as of now it is spoken for. If this should fall thru I will re post it.

Happy motoring Rob

End of vanagon Digest - 9 Aug 2006 (#2006-667) **********************************************

________________________________________________________________________ Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email and IM. All on demand. Always Free.