Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Aug 2006 12:09:35 -0400
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Light

Thank you all. The light is blinking while moving/and at idle. The first time I was running at approx 55 and had been running for about 15-20 min. The second time was at much lower city speed and a lot of stop and go.

I just changed the oil and I put 15w 40 in it. So maybe I need a higher weight oil. I'm not sure what type of filter I put on. I asked for a Bosch but they were out so I took what was there at Auto Zone.

It is possible that the oil level is a bit low as well. So I'll check that after work.

I appreciate all the responses - From what you have all said I should be OK - just go to a higher weight oil - double check the level and keep an eye on it. I don't see any leaks and the buzzer Dennis mentioned didn't go off (if it works). If my conclusion sounds wrong please let me know.

On 8/8/06, dhaynes@optonline.net <dhaynes@optonline.net> wrote: > > 86 and later has what is known as the "Dynamic" oil pressure warning > system. > The dynamic is that it has two sensors, with each being checked depending > on engine RPM. > The low pressure, (.3 bar) sensor is located between the push rod tubes on > the drivers side of the engine. It is normally closed, completing the > circuit to ground until sufficient oil pressure causes it to open. When it > is closed, the oil pressure warning light will flash. > The higher pressure switch, (.9 bar), is located directly off the oil > pump, found under the water pump. It is reverse acting, that is it is > normally open, closing or completing the circuit when the oil pressure > satisfies it. This is sort of a fail safe since a broken wire or bad > connection will keep the circuit in warning. This switch is monitored when > the engine RPM is above 2,500. In warning, you will get both the blinking > light and a buzzer. Once the buzzer sounds, it will continue until the > circuit is closed, (satisfied) or the ignition is turned off. > > You don't say what the conditions are with your blinking light. An > occasional blink at idle after a hard run indicates a bad switch or low oil > pressure issue. Intermittent while running could be a bad switch or shorted > wire. If you have low oil pressure, I would suspect the high pressure > warning will also sound unless someone attached the sensor wire to ground. > Seen that many a time. I've even seen the oil pressure warning board > removed to silence things. > > What viscosity oil are you using? 20w-50 or something close to it is > needed. This will have an effect on oil pressure. Also, the oil level is > extremely important. You want the level between the marks. The upper mark is > not the full mark. It is the maximum do not ever exceed no matter what mark. > This is extremely critical during high speed, high load operation. > > Hope this helps. > > Dennis > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM> > Date: Tuesday, August 8, 2006 10:13 am > Subject: Oil Light > > > Just a quick question. I've got the 86' running (and stopping) and > > have put > > about 200 miles on it locally. Anyhow, today the oil light started > > blinkingfor about 2 minutes and then stopped. It did this a few > > times. My previous > > bus was an 85' and that oil light never blinked it would just come > > on steady > > when there was an issue. So what does the blinking mean exactly? > > Thank you > > for any replies and sorry for the elementary question. > > > > -- > > Thanks, > > > > Jeff > > >

-- Thanks,

Jeff